need education on look back rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I believe the arguement about being able to stop once after each base comes from pretty much the first sentence of the rule. ASA 8-7-T-1 "When a runner is legitimately off a base..... the runner may stop once....."

If a runner is off between 1st and 2nd, stops then advances to 2nd, but rounds second base, they are again legitimately off a base and per the wording of the rule, would be entitled to a stop and reversal of direction. I have seen arguements both ways on this rule, but as yet do not recall seeing a rules clarification on it. For that matter, I have yet to see a situation in a game where it would have even been an issue.

Absolutely true. The manner in which the rule is written, black and white, there is nothing prohibiting a runner from coming to a stop after legally being off a base and the ball is in the circle. The only time the rule prohibits that is if they have come to a stop on a base and then left with the ball in the circle.

Mar 2, 2013
Absolutely true. The manner in which the rule is written, black and white, there is nothing prohibiting a runner from coming to a stop after legally being off a base and the ball is in the circle. The only time the rule prohibits that is if they have come to a stop on a base and then left with the ball in the circle.

"Once a runner stops, they must decide which way to continue or be called out." The runner doesn't Pass Go and collect another stop per base. R1 stops between 1st and 2nd base. R1 continues toward 2nd base and rounds 2nd base. R1 must continue non-stop to 3rd base. If R1 stops and continues or stops and retreats, R1 is out. There are two "ways." Either forward or backward. R1 must choose "which way." Once R1 chooses to go forward, R1 cannot retreat back. "If the runner starts back to their original base or forward to another base and then stops or reverses direction, the runner is out.

Mar 2, 2013
"When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat...the runner may stop ONCE, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

Note that everything is written in the singular. "A base" "once" "the base" "next base." Not that the ASA rule book (or any rule book) is without grammatical, punctuation and syntax issues, but if the intent of the rule was to permit a stop after each base, the rule would use terminology more consistent with "any base" "once per base" "further bases" and "previous bases."

For what it's worth, I've never seen this happen anyway. I'd like to say it never happened because the players and coaches know it's illegal, but I wouldn't dare give them enough credit for knowing that. Practically speaking, it wouldn't happen because players aren't going to keep rounding bases when the pitcher has the ball in the circle. How is a runner going to stop between 1st and 2nd and then continue beyond 2nd base and stop between 2nd and 3rd and continue. It just doesn't make sense.

Jun 22, 2008
I have never seen it happen either, but until such time as ASA issues some rules clarification stating one way or the other I will have to go with my own interpretation of the rule.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How is a runner going to stop between 1st and 2nd and then continue beyond 2nd base and stop between 2nd and 3rd and continue. It just doesn't make sense.

The way that it almost happened for me (described in earlier post):

There was a runner on third. Batter walked. Batter-runner rounded first base and stopped. Batter-runner then immediately headed for second base.

The pitcher was conceding the extra base and stood motionless, making no play or fake. Pretty typical play, and all legal, so far.

Instead of stopping directly on second base, which is what we normally see, the B/R rounded it.

It was at that point that the pitcher raised her arm in a throwing motion. A split-second later, the B/R stopped. Had the pitcher not faked/made a play, then the rare "second stop" would of happened.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The way that it almost happened for me (described in earlier post):

There was a runner on third. Batter walked. Batter-runner rounded first base and stopped. Batter-runner then immediately headed for second base.

The pitcher was conceding the extra base and stood motionless, making no play or fake. Pretty typical play, and all legal, so far.

Instead of stopping directly on second base, which is what we normally see, the B/R rounded it.

It was at that point that the pitcher raised her arm in a throwing motion. A split-second later, the B/R stopped. Had the pitcher not faked/made a play, then the rare "second stop" would of happened.

That is exactly the hypothetical scenario I had in my head.

Older players will take care of this themselves, younger players are given a little latitude. This is where I get in trouble, if the player rounds 2nd that is fine. If the runner goes ½ way to 3rd I have an issue. I know the rules need to be black and white but I am allowed my silly opinion.

Edit:

Thank you again for your detailed response. :)

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA

8.7.T
1. When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius of the pitcher's plate, the runner may stop on, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.
2. Once the runner stops at a base for any reason, the runner will be declared out if leaving the base.
RS 34
C. Once the runner returns or stops at any base for any reason, the runner is out if they leave that base.

Nowhere is it stated or is there a demand that a runner actually STOP at a base to which they are advancing. To not be ruled out, the runner meets the requirement of the LBR simply by reaching the next base.

Please note that I am simply applying the rule as written. As previously stated, I'm a firm believer the entire rule should be removed from the game altogether.

Mar 13, 2010
Speaking ASA

8.7.T
1. When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius of the pitcher's plate, the runner may stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.
2. Once the runner stops at a base for any reason, the runner will be declared out if leaving the base.
RS 34
C. Once the runner returns or stops at any base for any reason, the runner is out if they leave that base.

Nowhere is it stated or is there a demand that a runner actually STOP at a base to which they are advancing. To not be ruled out, the runner meets the requirement of the LBR simply by reaching the next base.

Please note that I am simply applying the rule as written. As previously stated, I'm a firm believer the entire rule should be removed from the game altogether.

Corrected the typo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors