need education on look back rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
DD will be playing travel ball this year and will be doing some pitching. I don't know a lot about the look back rule and would like some help from people regarding what to look for, when does the runner have to go back etc. Does the runner have to return once she stops or only after she makes a move as if going back. What are some of the trickier things to look for? I read here about a girl on 3rd and batter gets walked and keeps going to see the reaction.

Thanks for the help, Likely be playing ASA tournies

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would say the things you need to keep in mind are:

1) The rule takes effect when the batter-runner touches first base or is out
2) Runner is allowed to stop once then must make an immediate decision. They can run all the way around the bases stopping once after each base.
3) Once the ball leaves the circle or a fake throw cancels the rule

I could be wrong.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I would say the things you need to keep in mind are:

1) The rule takes effect when the batter-runner touches first base or is out

And the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle

2) Runner is allowed to stop once then must make an immediate decision. They can run all the way around the bases stopping once after each base.

Might also want to note the slowing down or moving slow is not a "stop". There is no limit on how fast a runner must be moving, as long as the runner is progressing toward a base.

3) Once the ball leaves the circle or a fake throw cancels the rule

Makes a play on any runner, a fake throw is considered a play for the purpose of this rule. Or the pitcher loses control of the ball while in the circle.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
So it seems if your pitcher just controls the ball and doesn't fake toward a base their isn't too much to worry about? Just look them back provided they stop. Stupid rule.

Mar 2, 2013
So it seems if your pitcher just controls the ball and doesn't fake toward a base their isn't too much to worry about? Just look them back provided they stop. Stupid rule.

The rule is good. The title is stupid. To call it a "Look-back Rule" makes no sense whatsoever. I prefer to use the term "Circle Rule," though this term hasn't been adopted by any ruleset. Look-back rule implies that there is some obligation on behalf of the pitcher to look the runner back. This could not be further from the truth. The best thing for the pitcher to do is stand in the circle with possession of the ball and do nothing that would be considered "making a play." Making a play is anything that, in the umpire's judgment, causes the runner to react.

The rule is necessary is softball in order to get the runners back on base. It is the easiest way to get runners back on base so that the game could continue, since there is obviously no leading in softball.

When the batter becomes a batter-runner, the rule does not go into effect until the batter-runner reaches 1st base.

Only one runner can be called out at a time for violating the rule.

A "play" on one runner is considered a play on all runners and releases all runners.

Runners in motion when the rule goes into effect are entitled to stop once, provided it is not on a base. If the runner stops on a base and steps off, the runner is out.

Runners who are standing still when the rule goes into effect must "immediately" attempt to advance forward or retreat backward. If they stop or change directions after going forward or backward, they are out.

When the rule is in effect and the batter-runner runs through 1st base, if she turns to her right (toward the 1st base dugout), she is committed to 1st base and must return non-stop. If she turns to her left or just stops, once she begins to return to 1st base, she is committed to returning to 1st base non-stop.

The most controversial call is when there is a runner on 3rd base and the batter walks. Once the batter-runner reaches 1st base (and all other elements are met), the rule goes into effect. So, if the runner on 3rd is just standing there watching the batter-runner round 1st base, she is out if she doesn't go one way or the other immediately. Assuming the runner on 3rd doesn't violate (because that would lead to a dead ball), the batter-runner still has her one stop, provided it isn't on 1st base and then she steps off. The batter-runner can advance just short of 2nd base, stop and then choose to continue to 2nd base or return to 1st. That stop is the one stop she is entitled to. In this type of play, the offense is bewildered when you call the runner from 3rd out and the defense is bewildered when you don't call the batter-runner out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rule is good. The title is stupid.

The rule is stupid and I don't care what name they give it. It is unnecessary and plays to the misconception that FP softball is a "live ball" game. The LBR was created for those people as a game control mechanism and has since been turned into a game strategy that does not improve the game or players.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is called the LBR, because prior to the circle being used, the pitcher did have to look everyone back. I don't know why the name was never changed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors