M's Progress!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Some of you might remember pitching student "M", the lanky, clumsy girl. Prior to June 2013, she had never attempted pitching. Sure, she fell down, tripping over her own feet a few times at regular team practice (14U), but she was a great kid who really wanted to play. In June of 2013, I approach her and her mom to ask if M might be interesting in pitching. I said to her, "It might be your only chance at playing" (i.e., to become a pitcher). She was interested, so the work began.

Now let me say right now that she is no where near being done working, but.... Man, she has come a long way, and I am very proud of her!

On the left you'll notice two other pitchers. Both of them were far superior at that time (June 2013). Guess who is now the most sound mechanically??? "M" is! Why, because she worked the hardest (was more driven).

This just goes to show that there are kids out there who you would never think could learn to pitch that actually could learn to.

What I saw in this once clumsy girl was the long lanky legs and long lanky fingers/hands. I thought if she were interested, with her heart/desire, together with some hard work, she could turn into a decent pitcher.

As I said, however, we have a long way to go, but I'm sure proud of her! She's now entering her sophomore year in HS.

P.S. Yes, her backswing needs to be much straighter. And, her feet start a little too far apart (forward and back wise)

Also, I have the likes of Javasource, Rick Pauly, Boardmember, Hillhouse, et.al. to thank for steering me to the right path in terms of proper pitching mechanics.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2011
My DD was the same lanky, clumsy kid. Pretty cool watching their mind catch up to their body. Great work by "M", and you too DR!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
...or their bodies catching up to their growing-more-sophisticated minds. This kid has always been smart enough, just got frustrating to her that she couldn't quite get her body to do what she wanted it to. She's really turned a corner recently. And, it has greatly lifted her spirits. And, it had a lot to do with the Javasource's "push-back" drill, as her biggest issue was her drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44