Mouth guard question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Up until this point I have never really understood by I see players (mostly older) wearing mouth pieces while playing. Today in a 10u tournament the base runner on the other teams gets into a run down between 2nd and 3rd, as she attempts to slide into 3rd the shortstop coving the bag catches the ball and makes a tag hitting the runner in the chin as she slides. The result ended up having the runner biting her tongue (not all the way off but a severe bite across the tongue). The quickly stopped play, realized the injury and got her off the field to seek medical attention. My daughter wears a face mask and an Evo Shield chest protector now. For the first time I am considering a mouth guard for her. How many of you have your daughters wear them and how often do you see this kind of accident. It is my first in my short 3 years of daughters playing softball.

Jan 25, 2011
I was told that it can help protect from concussions. That's just what I was told, so don't know if it is true.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Nanotech14, my wife who used to be an athletic trainer in college told me that you are correct. That is the number one reason for football players wearing a mouth piece, I always thought it was so they didn't bite their tongue.

Jun 15, 2014
Hi!
Actually they just came out with a new study backed by the ADA & AGD(published in May of this year 2014) where they monitored six high school football teams over the course of two years Study shows over-the-counter mouth guards don't protect as well - NFL.com. Three teams were able to use any stock, mass produced mouth guard of their choice & the other three teams were made to wear custom fitted mouth guards (based on a dental impression of your teeth). The results were pretty interesting. 8.3% of the players wearing the cheapo mouth guards suffered head related injuries vs. 3.6% of players wearing the custom made guards.
Custom made guards are far more protective. They're also wayyy more comfortable because they fit over your unique dental anatomy.
AND you don't have to go through a dentist to get these made anymore. Online mouth guard labs like Sentinel Mouthguard Co. and Grillz can make them for you for way less (lab provides everything you need).
Hope this helps!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Lindt time I used a store bought mouth gaurd, all you had to do to make it custom fit was put it in hot water for a few seconds then form it to your teeth. That was about 25 years ago.

Jun 16, 2014
Our daughter has never worn a mouthguard, but our son plays basketball and he wears one. We got it at the dentist and it cost $350 and took 2 weeks to get it. And he lost it after only 2 days! I couldn't afford to keep replacing it so I searched and found Litebite mouthguards and it was just like the one we got at the dentist but was only $20. It was made of the same material as the one we got at the dntist and we made it at home and it fit perfectly. Also it came in a 2 pack so we have a spare. You should try it. Here is the website:

LiteBITE Mouthguards

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Our daughter has never worn a mouthguard, but our son plays basketball and he wears one. We got it at the dentist and it cost $350 and took 2 weeks to get it. And he lost it after only 2 days! I couldn't afford to keep replacing it so I searched and found Litebite mouthguards and it was just like the one we got at the dentist but was only $20. It was made of the same material as the one we got at the dntist and we made it at home and it fit perfectly. Also it came in a 2 pack so we have a spare. You should try it. Here is the website:

LiteBITE Mouthguards

Wow $350 is ridiculous! I work in the dental field and we impression and make them in our office for $60. Custom made are 100% better than the otc boil and bite ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234