Mouth guard question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I suspect that your question raised some legal concerns that the company did not want to address.

As expected they ran from that big time. But , to your point they claim that it may reduce concussive force. I have seen no product in any genre that claims to prevent a concussion.

FWIW - I spend time around people who make their livings jumping out of perfectly good running airplanes and many are starting to wear TMJ splints (mouth guards) to protect from opening shock and landing.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks, that makes sense- I agree with pretty much everything except this :
It just does not occur that often compared to other events. In addition instinctively turn or lift your head and any benefit is pretty much negated.
I know that I heard one time that a doctor somewhere said that players instinctively turn their head to avoid impact, but I haven't heard of this being as common as shots impacting the face. If the head always turns away (and I do not dispute that under the right conditions it does ), it would always be a problem unless they were wearing a catchers mask.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I know that I heard one time that a doctor somewhere said that players instinctively turn their head to avoid impact, but I haven't heard of this being as common as shots impacting the face. If the head always turns away (and I do not dispute that under the right conditions it does ), it would always be a problem unless they were wearing a catchers mask.

Never said that players always turn their heads, just that it was a natural instinct to do so. Go to any 8U-12U practice and you can observe that behavior until the cows come in.

Oct 10, 2011

Our mask completely covers the temple area and sticks out pretty far on the side, meaning that it would deflect a lot of balls. I'm no expert, but when I was boxing, getting hit in the temple rang your bell, but getting hit farther back on the side of the head wasn't an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44