Incidental contact vs. Obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
You are correct for NFHS (confused it with c, interfering with a fielder attempting to throw the ball). ASA does not require intent.

Only in NCAA is there an "about to receive" allowance. In ASA & NFHS (1st to add rule), the player must have possession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball. NFHS 8.4.3.B

That is true as long as it is the initial play on a batted ball, but that isn't how you worded it. A thrown ball in flight provides the defense absolutely no right of position or protection from an OBS call and that includes the manner in which 2.36 reads.

It's been quite awhile since I umpired softball, so I'll just admit that I need to brush up on those rules. Started umpiring in 1980, stopped in 2007. Worked both baseball and softball up until about 1992, then did just baseball. I'll be more careful before my next response for softball. :(

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It's been quite awhile since I umpired softball, so I'll just admit that I need to brush up on those rules. Started umpiring in 1980, stopped in 2007. Worked both baseball and softball up until about 1992, then did just baseball. I'll be more careful before my next response for softball. :(

Well, I worked baseball from 66-88. So frustrated with the way the game was heading. When you have a 12yo turn to you at the plate and say, "how and the f*** was that a strike" and the coaches think that is a legitimate question of the umpire, it was time to move on.

Not that softball is an "idiot-free" zone, but the structure and environment is just that much better, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi