LSU's Tori Edwards no stranger to the weight room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I showed the video to a friend who is a lifting expert (gym owner) and actually competed in World's Strongest Man back in the day. He said, "her form is good, straight back, she should have locked it out for one complete second but she could lift more weight based off her bar velocity. Strong girl."
My guess is that her dad is probably a knowledgeable rat and has taught her correct lifting techniques to help avoid injuries. I hope none of the other players try to keep up with her.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Did you even read the article? Or did you just see 405 and jump in the hot take deep end?
I did read the article. She says she was encouraged (pushed) by her teammates (where the strength coach?) and happy not to be in pain.
She had never tried so much wieght. Experimenting with 405 lbs when being pushed by teammates is probably a bad idea and could lead to serious injury. I don't think lifting extra heavy weights translates into bat speed, timing or eye hand cordination. Things needed to be a successful hitter.
I am sure Acuna works out but probably a much smarter lifting program designed for baseball not football. He hit 41 HRs and stole 70 bases last year. (5'11"/ 200 lbs)

If she hits 25 bombs this year then I will be impressed.

Jul 11, 2023
How do you leap from someone testing their 1RM once to whatever some baseball player does and deem their day to day is smarter than someone else?

Strength training is to... check notes... gain strength. How else do you quantify your training is working if you don't test it?

And the trap bar is about as safe of a lift as there is for max effort.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How do you leap from someone testing their 1RM once to whatever some baseball player does and deem their day to day is smarter than someone else?

Strength training is to... check notes... gain strength. How else do you quantify your training is working if you don't test it?

And the trap bar is about as safe of a lift as there is for max effort.
I think strength training (for softball) is largely overrated. 1RM is especially overrated. Who cares? This is softball not a weight lifting competition. Acuna (and probably most MLB players) have no idea what their 1RM is for any lift and probably don't care. Did you watch the video?

Jul 11, 2023
If you don't care, that's fine but don't be disrespectful to those that do. Calling it stupid makes the conversation about you, not the lift or the lifter.

I bet there is a board that boasts lifting accomplishments in that gym. So it matters to some people. This isn't planet fitness. She's more than just a softball player too. Some people just enjoy the challenge, even if it has diminishing returns in other aspects of their life.

I can find a one off video that says something complementary to what I want too. Lifters know their lifts.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
I think strength training (for softball) is largely overrated. 1RM is especially overrated. Who cares? This is softball not a weight lifting competition. Acuna (and probably most MLB players) have no idea what their 1RM is for any lift and probably don't care. Did you watch the video?

As stated earlier I believe practicing hitting is more important than strength training and if you have to choose 1 or the other BP all day but the reality is today's athletes at the D1 level are doing both. 1 RM in and of itself is meaningless but just about every strength coach I know tests strength, speed, and agility metrics to inform program design and measure progress.

If you don't think strength training is important ask yourself why there was an explosion of PED use in the MLB and records were falling all over the place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00