LSU's Tori Edwards no stranger to the weight room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I believe in strength and speed and agility training BUT 405 lbs deadlift (no belt) is probably stupid. Where is the supervision?
She would not be the first player injured in the weight room.
Would rather see more training on speed and agility and batting practice. The fence at LSU is 200 feet and you don't get bonus points for hitting it 300 feet. All the muscles in the world won't help if you can't time and barrel up the ball. Many 14u players with little to no strength training can hit the ball 200 feet.
It will be interesting to see how she does this year. 5' 11" utility player????
Again, strength training has value to a degree but batting practice is much more important in developing players.

Nov 5, 2014
I believe in strength and speed and agility training BUT 405 lbs deadlift (no belt) is probably stupid. Where is the supervision?
Would rather see more training on speed and agility and batting practice. The fence at LSU is 200 feet and you don't get bonus points for hitting it 300 feet. All the muscles in the world won't help if you can't time and barrel up the ball. Many 14u players with little to no strength training can hit the ball 200 feet.
Again, strength training has value to a degree but batting practice is much more important in developing players.
I would agree with you if it was an either or choice between batting practice or weight training but the D1 athletic schedule is such that there is plenty of time for both.

It should also be noted this was for max testing, she does not regularly deadlift that kind of weight.

I think the strength training has become so advanced that you see a significant number of kids who can put it out over the 200ft fences even when they don't totally square it up.

IMO softball has outgrown the current field dimensions.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ted Williams sold a weight set thru Sears back in the day. Total weight was 115 lbs. I would bet that 95 percent of MLB players would never attempt dead lifting 405 lbs.it just doesn't translate into being a better player, IMO.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

I am sure the team is not neglecting any speed and agility work, or batting practice. There is also the factor that a player does not have to square the ball up as well as a weaker player to hit the ball over the 200' fence. That ball that used to go 190' feet for an out is now going 210' for a homerun for the stronger player.

Very impressive lift. Congratulations to the young lady.

The trap bar is a safer way to deadlift than using a traditional barbell and her form looked pretty good to me considering the amount of weight.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

You're right...it is stupid.

Deadlifts are an expressway to back and knee injury. Do it wrong one time, and you can screw yourself up for life. Lots of ways to gain leg, arm, and core strength without nearly as much risk. I'm a big believer in weight training for softball players, but they're ballplayers, not competitive weightlifters. Repetition and form should be the focus, not maxing out on exercises that put enormous stress on knees and back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00