Low or mid cleats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
What are the pros and cons of mid vs. low style cleats. Also, what is your brand preference. We are not into metal cleats yet. I am asking about shoes not just the cleat itself.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD prefers the mid top cleats as she feels they offer better support, but I think that is just a mental carry over from basketball! If your DD is a pitcher I would recommend Ringor cleats with the pitching toe. You can find some good deals if you click on the 'special offers' link on their website. If you sign up for their email updates they also periodically email coupons.

http://www.ringor.com/sale

Apr 1, 2010
My DD does not run very fast, so I buy her low cleats. I want to give her the best chance for speed that she can get.

Jan 24, 2012
Do low cleats actually help with speed or does it just seem that wy? I know sprinters wear practicly "nothing except spikes". My DGD is slow but also has heel/ankle issues, thats why I ask.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's completely a matter of preference, especially if your daughter has heel/ankle issues. There is no real benefit of one vs. the other; just the benefit of having shoes that work for you vs. ones that don't. She should try some and use what feels comfortable.

I, for example, have pronated ankles, and always THOUGHT mid/high cleats would help support them better, but it turned out I couldn't wear them because the bone sticking out the inside of my ankle would rub and give me blisters. Doesn't mean that would be the case for your daughter; it's just an example.

Look into a good insole with some arch support. Preferably go to a place that can fit your daughter for the right level of support (doesn't have to be a podiatrist; I got it done at an Eastern Mountain Sports once). Then find a pair of cleats that works well with the insoles.

Dec 7, 2011
DD here had some bad ankle issues from VB. She then liked the feel of mids as it reminded her of her ActiveAnkles. But then she realized the shorty socks she liked wearing did not work too well in mids (finally changed the socks after a few blister events.)

Also - DD as a pitcher liked the less abount of dirt in shoes with mids.

Apr 1, 2010
Do low cleats actually help with speed or does it just seem that wy? I know sprinters wear practicly "nothing except spikes". My DGD is slow but also has heel/ankle issues, thats why I ask.

I remember someone posting that they always thought their DD was slow (she had always worn the higher topped cleats) and then when she started wearing low cleats, they realized she was actually pretty fast. It might be different from kid to kid...

My DD also has heel/ankle issues. I've had her wearing Asics men's gel-v cut field shoes (I think they're actually field hockey cleats?) the last several months. They seem to do a better job at shock absorption than her baseball/softball cleats did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan