look back the runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
any advice on finding the right words to try and explain to my 10 yr old dd what looking back the runner means? if she's pitching and there is a runner on 3rd. how do i explain to her to look back the runner and throw to 1st? just looking for the right words to save some confusion.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is something that is best demonstrated at practice vs. explained, because if the runner at 3rd breaks for home on contact there is a good chance the pitcher would not be able to get her at home regardless. It just takes some practice.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
any advice on finding the right words to try and explain to my 10 yr old dd what looking back the runner means? if she's pitching and there is a runner on 3rd. how do i explain to her to look back the runner and throw to 1st? just looking for the right words to save some confusion.

Got to be done in practice with the same sort of drill we discussed on getting the lead runner. This helps the fielders and the base runners.

- Put a baserunner on third and a batter (baserunner) at home
- Fielders at all infield positions, including catcher
- Tell your infielders you need to try to stop the runner scoring and get at least one out on the play.
- Hit the infielders quick grounders. If they field cleanly, look at third to see if there is a play to be made
- If no play on the 3rd base baserunner, then throw the runner out at first
- If there is a play because they led to far (throw to third) or just went on the hit (throw to catcher) - make the play
- If the play is made at first they will then need to immediately throw the ball hard to CATCHER to try and make a play at plate. (After the out the play is still live is something they need to keep remembering)

Vary how hard you hit the grounders so they get a feel for how long they have to still make sure they get the out at first. Back to the three steps/three bounce timing

Be aggressive in practice. Only way to get the confidence to make the play in the game.

Execute this in a game and the other team will only try it once. Also it is a huge momentum boost for your team. I still remember the first time our current team pulled off the look back/out at first/out at home double play. The girls were so pumped we scored 6 runs in the bottom half of that inning.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG