LLWS illegal pitch calls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
With all that is allowed now in the pitching word it seems pretty stupid to be calling an illegal pitch for someone slightly moving their back foot after their hands come together.

May 29, 2015
I don't call LL, so I don't know their rules. However, if the rule says you cannot reset once your toe is down, that seems pretty clear cut (start back vs. step back).

Or should we never call anything and just allow pitchers to do whatever they want? MLB did that for a long time and are now trying to claw it back. What makes it worse was most of the shenanigans were illegal, they just instructed umpires not to call it.

On a more serious question . . . Why am I still having to tell pitchers they have to simulate taking a signal on the pitcher's plate?

May 13, 2021
I don't call LL, so I don't know their rules. However, if the rule says you cannot reset once your toe is down, that seems pretty clear cut (start back vs. step back).

Or should we never call anything and just allow pitchers to do whatever they want? MLB did that for a long time and are now trying to claw it back. What makes it worse was most of the shenanigans were illegal, they just instructed umpires not to call it.

On a more serious question . . . Why am I still having to tell pitchers they have to simulate taking a signal on the pitcher's plate?
I’m just saying it is a stupid rule, with the way pitching rules for all other parts of the pitch is now. So is acting like you’re taking a sign. If they are going to continue with that they should just to require the catcher to give the signs, and quit pretending.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's team played the Death Valley Showcase in late June down in Baton Rouge. One team they played, who wound up winning the whole thing, had all of their pitchers take the sign off the plate. They would then step on the plate and quick pitch. I pointed it out to the coaches, who pointed out to the umpires. Their response was, "It's a showcase tournament. We don't care what they do."

This had to be an organization decision since both pitchers they used did the same thing.

May 29, 2015
I’m just saying it is a stupid rule, with the way pitching rules for all other parts of the pitch is now. So is acting like you’re taking a sign. If they are going to continue with that they should just to require the catcher to give the signs, and quit pretending.

Stupid or not, it is the rule. Don't like it, don't play that code. Rules are a pendulum where all of the codes realize they should be more alike, so it swings that way for awhile. Then they realize they are all about selling their own brand name, so they start differentiating. You have plenty of options.

I would strongly support requiring the signal to come from the catcher and to go back to requiring it to be taken on the plate. The quick pitch push comes directly from allowing the signal to be taken off of the plate, the number systems being yelled in to everybody simultaneously, and will soon be exacerbated with the electronic communication.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This is what I am wondering. If it is a conscious "strategy" decision that is being taught or encouraged.
It had to be. I can't even say it was a pitching coach decision since their motions were considerably different. It really did mess with the timing of the batters.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My daughter's team played the Death Valley Showcase in late June down in Baton Rouge. One team they played, who wound up winning the whole thing, had all of their pitchers take the sign off the plate. They would then step on the plate and quick pitch. I pointed it out to the coaches, who pointed out to the umpires. Their response was, "It's a showcase tournament. We don't care what they do."

This had to be an organization decision since both pitchers they used did the same thing.
We got the same “it’s a showcase, don’t worry about it” last weekend for the same thing. Annoying.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831