Let them play...they are so resilient!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2013
My daughter just finished reading Little League Softball Champs by Joe Jackson and she absolutely loved it. You want to know why?

Because it covered the emotional drama 10 - 13 year old girls face during a fastpitch season with their parents and coaches brilliantly. The book was spot on. In Little League Softball Champs, your daughter will find a friend in a character that she can really relate to.

Because of its motivating story of courage, with resiliency being the keyword here, if you get a free moment, check it out at

Little League Softball Champs: Joe Jackson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I know it is quite challenging at times, but we have to let them play. THEY'RE JUST KIDS WANTING TO PLAY BALL AND HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yeah that would work if softball was for the girls. For many, it has little to do with what the girl really wants, its all about making mom or dad feel better about themselves.

May 14, 2013
No doubt, some parents are definitely too anxious while some are living vicariously. However, the kids who are succeeding are very well rounded, in my opinion. No doubt, on every team, at every level, 2 - 3 players always stand out.

Say it ain't so.....

May 14, 2013
It can get crazy. Of course, you have to push youngsters from time to time but once a kid gets on the field, unless it is motivating, keep your comments to yourself.

You hear when playing, "swing for a hit, the home run will come." I say, "let them play, the scholarship will come."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just yesterday, Jennie Finch was complaining on Twitter about the games that are now time limits. Other well known coaches chimed in. Their message is, if it is for the girls, then play 7 innings and forget the drop dead rules. I, too, would like to see the girls return to real softball, w/o a clock. It should be for the good of the girls, not the money being made at the tournament.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just yesterday, Jennie Finch was complaining on Twitter about the games that are now time limits. Other well known coaches chimed in. Their message is, if it is for the girls, then play 7 innings and forget the drop dead rules. I, too, would like to see the girls return to real softball, w/o a clock. It should be for the good of the girls, not the money being made at the tournament.

7 inning games are great, until your DD is playing at 1am......because the tournament is three hours behind schedule!

Apr 1, 2010

I understand that tournaments need to get their games in and it's better to get a chance to play SOME innings against an opponent rather than no innings at all. Our girls recently were in an away tournament that was great in many respects, however, if I remember right, the pool games were 60 minutes and the brackets were 65? We hardly had time to get in more than two innings a game.

One pool game, my DD got in a long battle at the plate with the opposing pitcher. DD never did get the pitch she wanted to hit, but fouled off enough close ones to eventually draw a walk. That one at-bat might have taken up around a fourth of the entire game--there just wasn't enough time to really play and figure out the pitcher. It's not the same game at all when it's that short IMO. Seven innings would be sweet, but I'd be willing to settle for five. Two isn't enough!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Those 1AM games are what I live for. Don't be a spoil sport.

(Of course, I was objecting last year to 10U playing at midnight, but the little girls thrived on it.)

Apr 1, 2010
Those 1AM games are what I live for. Don't be a spoil sport.

(Of course, I was objecting last year to 10U playing at midnight, but the little girls thrived on it.)

I kinda like night games when it's hot, IMO they're nicer than a scorching hot and humid afternoon game. What is a pain though, is finishing a game late, being exhausted and hungry and only having a choice of Mickey D's drive thru or a sit down all-night breakfast place. I've got to get better at planning ahead and running out to a deli or something before they all close...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We had a game start at 12:15 am last month. That was fine. It was our 4th game of the day, so not too extreme.

It was Saturday night and winner would play at 12:00 Sunday....loser at 8:00 am....guess who the losing team was :(

Those 60min (usually rain delay games) are rediculous though. We played one last fall....we were away team...drop dead clock. Inning 1: us 2-0. Inning 2: us 4-2 Inning 3: them 5-4. Inning 4 1/2 us 10-5 Clock up...default back to last inning....UGH!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06