Lessons $$$$ or Ethics/Purpose/Goal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
When paying for lessons bringing this question to the discussion forum.

Do you think it is
okay
or not
for an instructor to continue doing lessons with students who do not work out on their own applying lessons they are paying for?

Do you think instructors should be following up and paying attention to actual results? Or do you think that is out of the instructors realm of importance? In other words it's not up to the instructor to follow up on if the student and family is applying the lessons.

To extend the question,
With the ability of players to take videos and offer that to the instructor...even if the student isn't doing workouts on their own as an individual.
The students could be bringing video from their team practices/games and instructors could reflect on those videos to see if what is being taught is being applied.
After how much time??___________??
if lessons are not being applied
➡️ Do you think it is still appropriate for an instructor to continue taking money from people who are not applying the lessons being taught?

Certainly there will be multiple perspectives to this scenario.
Interesting to see how many people will respond to the instructor having ethics purpose and goal.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
When paying for lessons bringing this question to the discussion forum.

Do you think it is
okay
or not
for an instructor to continue doing lessons with students who do not work out on their own applying lessons they are paying for?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The term is "Accountability" and how do you hold them to their goals? Video is good.

Why are they going to lessons? What are THEIR goals? Long Term and Short term? How do they achieve them? How are the goals measured? If they are meeting expectations, how do you get them on track?

Dec 11, 2010
One of the old time pitching gurus on this site assigned homework. The player had to complete homework or the instructor wouldn't schedule the next lesson.

Rad, the ethics are tough. I’m not sure how to answer it. Have certainly seen people spending money on lessons for a dd that they should not. Sometimes a kid will turn the corner, some don’t. It is pretty tough to predict.

I like it that you are posing the question though. I hope parents and instructors are thinking about it.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
me, when needed, to student, with person paying present, and with honesty and direct eye to eye contact: You need to be honest with yourself and me. Pitching is hard. It requires work. If the time comes when you no longer want to pitch, please, just tell me. I will not be disappointed in you and I will certainly appreciate your honesty. But I am not going to waste my time and your parents' money. That's just how I do things. Work equals wins, you have known this from Day One and it's not going to change with me. So, what do you want to do?
I absolutely believe in my students and I believe in their potential and I stay as positive as possible when I let them know this. Believe me, it's not about the money. I want to see them succeed, in pitching and in life. But, they (students and parents) have to commit to doing the work. And isn't there value in teaching a student how to make tough decisions?

May 13, 2023
One of the old time pitching gurus on this site assigned homework. The player had to complete homework or the instructor wouldn't schedule the next lesson.

Rad, the ethics are tough. I’m not sure how to answer it. Have certainly seen people spending money on lessons for a dd that they should not. Sometimes a kid will turn the corner, some don’t. It is pretty tough to predict.

I like it that you are posing the question though. I hope parents and instructors are thinking about it.
Thank you!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ethics? An instructor provides a service. The parent decides whether they want to pay for that service. The parent oversees what their child does wrt implementing what the hitter was shown in lessons. I control what happens in that lesson. I ask questions from my hitters about their success and how they "got out" in games. If it comes to a point where the parent/hitter believes that they don't need nor want lessons, that is up to them.

Keep in mind that I will tell parents that I am not the instructor for them when/if I see their child does not listen or does not show the proper intent when in my lessons.

May 13, 2023
Ethics? An instructor provides a service. The parent decides whether they want to pay for that service. The parent oversees what their child does wrt implementing what the hitter was shown in lessons. I control what happens in that lesson. I ask questions from my hitters about their success and how they "got out" in games. If it comes to a point where the parent/hitter believes that they don't need nor want lessons, that is up to them.

Keep in mind that I will tell parents that I am not the instructor for them when/if I see their child does not listen or does not show the proper intent when in my lessons.
Hmmm? However there are parents who may not observantly recognize whether or not their child is applying themselves to the lessons.
Of course they could recognize whether or not they're working out on their own. With that may not recognize if they're actually doing things correctly. Then there is blatant excuse making for the lack of application and effort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles