Lesson Learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We are a 1st year 14U team. I have coached for about 6 years now and last weekend I made a major boo boo. 1st Gold Bracket game on Sunday, we won both games on Saturday. Here we are cruising with a 6-0 lead going into the bottom of the 5th. We have a bad inning with 2 major errors that allow 4 runs. OK 6-4 us. We don't score in the top half. Bottom half they tie it up with 2 outs. I take our pitcher out and replace her with a relative new pitcher (to get her some experience). Well she walks 2 batters and 1 scored on a passed ball. We get the 3rd out and have the 3-4-5- hitters coming up.

Umpire states time up game over. Yup I didn't even think to look at the time... The girls were upset and tearing up as this loss kicked us out of any trophy contention. I had to sit them down and tell them that this game was totally my fault for really bad game management.

Lesson = Even though I have coached for several years... a slight mistake by me cost us any chance in the Tournament. Look at my dang watch next time!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is just too much for one person to do. Why weren't the parents yelling at you? Or your score keeper?

On a funny note, I thought that you wrote that you put a "relative" into pitch. :)

Mar 15, 2010
Coach Kevin,

I made a similar mistake last year in a tournament when I did not carefully read the rules and failed to see that pool play games were no new inning after 1:20 but bracket play was no new after 1:30. I was batting 9 and pulled my pitcher for a second time in the bottom of the inning for a courtesy runner thinking it didn't matter since time would expire. Had to put my #2 pitcher in the top half of the next inning and the wheels came off. Got booted in the first round of bracket due to my mistake.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The thing is, you guys admit it. I always did, too. Like "That wasn't her fault. I shouldn't have sent her."

But, I know too many coaches that would never admit to a mistake.

Mar 15, 2010
The thing is, you guys admit it. I always did, too. Like "That wasn't her fault. I shouldn't have sent her."

But, I know too many coaches that would never admit to a mistake.

My dad was a Marine Colonel and inculcated me from a very early age that "Blaming someone else is shirking responsibility". To this day I share that same lesson with my team.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I take responsibility for 'sending her' I have a timer that goes to scorekeeper
for above scenario. Nothing worse than pissing off a dugout filled with angry estrogen

Jan 20, 2010
I made a similar mistake last year.

In pool play we tied our first game and won our second game and were way up going into what I knew to be the final inning of our 3rd game. I double checked with the tournament director watching the game that the runs per inning limit still applied and she also said that she hoped to have our game time for us for tomorrow shortly.

So I put in our #3 pitcher since she likely would not have another chance. She did ok...gave up 4 runs and we still won comfortably. Well...turns out that the play tomorrow comment was a little premature. Turns out the team we tied also won their next two and another team which neither of us played went 3-0. The tie breaker was of course fewest runs allowed which we lost by a grand total of 2.

Edit: games were played at different locations so I had no idea how any of the other teams had done.

Jul 28, 2008
I made a similar mistake last year.

In pool play we tied our first game and won our second game and were way up going into what I knew to be the final inning of our 3rd game. I double checked with the tournament director watching the game that the runs per inning limit still applied and she also said that she hoped to have our game time for us for tomorrow shortly.

So I put in our #3 pitcher since she likely would not have another chance. She did ok...gave up 4 runs and we still won comfortably. Well...turns out that the play tomorrow comment was a little premature. Turns out the team we tied also won their next two and another team which neither of us played went 3-0. The tie breaker was of course fewest runs allowed which we lost by a grand total of 2.

Edit: games were played at different locations so I had no idea how any of the other teams had done.

Sometimes it's not about the 'W' today, it's about giving the kids the experience so they can give you a 'W' at the end of the season.

Oct 21, 2009
Having made that mistake myself I now keep a kitchen timer on the fence with the lineup board. I am out there when the umpire starts his clock at teh beginning when not too busy or in the second inning or so I sync my timer with teh Blue's clock. I always have a grasp of how much time is really left and I don't have to keep asking blue. My players have also become accustomed to the clock and will police them selves when it is a tight game and we are trailing. You will hear "2 outs get your gloves, no warmups", "No throwing the ball around", "Go right after her, throw strikes." or "This is it last inning let's hold them here."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06