Legal pitch? Swings arms back twice past hips before release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I was watching a pitcher the other day in a scrimmage. It looks like she is doing something to help her timing or momentum forward by rocking.

She steps on the rubber.

Puts hands together.
As she starts her motion she...(if you can imagine)
Swings both hands separately (on each side of her body) back behind her hips;
Swings them both forward in a rocking motion (not above where her elbow would be and not touching her hands together again);
Swings them back again in a rocking motion;
Then starts her arm circle forward the pitch.

Basically she swings her hands back and forth twice past her hips in a rocking motion before starting her arm circle for the pitch.

Is this legal? Does anyone have the ASA Rules for this?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Sounds like it would be illegal according to Rule 6, section 3C...The pitcher must not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after seperating the hands.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sounds like it would be illegal according to Rule 6, section 3C...The pitcher must not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after seperating the hands.

Forward motion of what? If you want to be specific about the direction of the hands, the top of the windmill would in itself be a violation.

The number of times past the hip are irrelevant in ASA FP.

It may look strange, but I'm really not sure if it is.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Passing the hips is not relevant in this instance either. According to the way I read this rule, it would be just as illegal if her arm stoped at the 10 o'clock position, went down to 8 o'clock, and then around to release without ever passing the hips.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You're thinking in terms of linear, not rotational direction. :)

Yes, I am, but I'm also simply reading the rule and asked the question. IOW, I'm looking for something definitive I could hang my hat on to call an IP. Remember, just because something looks weird/different doesn't mean it is illegal.

Obviously, anyone would have to see it to be able to offer a viable opinion.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All I can do is repost the ASA pitching rule that FPMark already posted. It is page 83, of the rule book. You would have to stop or reverse your motion, to swing the arms twice past the hips.

What you describe is an IP.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
All I can do is repost the ASA pitching rule that FPMark already posted. It is page 83, of the rule book. You would have to stop or reverse your motion, to swing the arms twice past the hips.

What you describe is an IP.

6FP.3.c is on page 62 in my book. Unfortunately, you are adding words to the rule. The word "arm" or "hip" is not in the rule, hence my question of "what"? Is the forward motion that of the body, arms, feet or everything.

I'm not disagreeing that this may be an IP, just like to see it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom