Learning I/R

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Ball orientation is incorrect. Turn it toward the sky. Keeping your elbow to your side, you probably won't be able to externally rotate enough to get the ball all the way to the sky, but you should feel a load in your forearm.

2w4xmqv.gif

As you are doing it, you are just pushing the ball through, then forcing a hand turnover at the end. Your arm never has any external rotation, so it can't perform internal rotation.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Hey, all credit to you for learning! Its not easy to post video of yourself trying something new. Keep at it and keep reading. It all clicks together eventually.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The motion you used prior to throwing is something I'd look for: loose and whippy. Don't try to make whip happen--let it happen. Watch how relaxed BoardMember looks in his video. As natural as can be! Show us a Liberty or full circle--thinking loose, long and relaxed. Let the ball whip from the hand as it brushes the hip. It should feel out-of-control at first, but as you get used to it, the whip becomes your friend!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2014
2nd try. I feel that I'm still pushing instead of letting my arm stay loose. Also am I facing the ball the right way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2014
what worked for my DD was to start with your arm and hand higher, like ball at ear level , then lead down with the elbow and then "naturally" let your forearm whip over at your hip. It should just "happen" and not be like a throw or something you are trying to do
Anyway, we are fairly new to it too (learned it in the last 8 months or so). Just what she found helpful

Apr 12, 2015
what worked for my DD was to start with your arm and hand higher, like ball at ear level , then lead down with the elbow and then "naturally" let your forearm whip over at your hip. It should just "happen" and not be like a throw or something you are trying to do
Anyway, we are fairly new to it too (learned it in the last 8 months or so). Just what she found helpful

I'll second this. When I was first learning, I couldn't do Lock It to save my life. I had to start at 9:00, then once I learned the feel, I could do Lock It to refine the motion.

You are correct, you are still pushing the ball. Have you tried the bat drill to get a feel for the motion?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish