Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Too bad. They can focus on basketball or volleyball. It would open up more opportunities for good athletes who didn't get lucky in the gene pool lottery.
Lol gene pool lottery...

Too much fudging around with stuff. Set a standard let them go for it. Everyone else grab a bat 💣💥

Kind of silly no matter what changes there's always people that are unsatisfied and want to change more. I like how it used to be less interpretive/restrictive rules in place. Play the ball and play to win!
Seems more so with all the rule changes and interpretations people have just as much or more controversy over such things. Just an observation.

... someone else will suggest widening the pitching circle...🤪🥳

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Lol gene pool lottery...

Too much fudging around with stuff. Set a standard let them go for it. Everyone else grab a bat 💣💥

Kind of silly no matter what changes there's always people that are unsatisfied and want to change more. I like how it used to be less interpretive/restrictive rules in place. Play the ball and play to win!
Seems more so with all the rule changes and interpretations people have just as much or more controversy over such things. Just an observation.

... someone else will suggest widening the pitching circle...🤪🥳
My girls got lucky, my brains and my wife's looks, but I would never say that in front of her! Just kidding of course.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I know I’m in the minority but I still say leaping is an advantage. Girl on our 18U gold team last year used to leap and could definitely get out further and throw harder than when she was forced to drag. Velocity would noticeably drop when she stayed legal.
There's a good chance when pitchers start training to do this there will be more that we will see gaining an advantage.
Less restrictive rules.

May 27, 2013
There's a good chance when pitchers start training to do this there will be more that we will see gaining an advantage.
Less restrictive rules.
Oh I know we will, RAD. We are on the same page, and I’ve either played or coached fastpitch at various levels for more than 35 years too, so have seen a lot various types of pitching mechanics over that time span (just throwing that in there like others like to do 😁).

I just can’t wrap my brain around how this would not create an advantage. For years pitching coaches preached that the less drag you had, the better, creating a more powerful drive. They always said the drag foot acted as an anchor, which was a problem. They taught to achieve the lightest drag possible for best outcomes. Now, you essentially create a rule that allows for the elimination of that problem and there’s no advantage?? Were the coaches who frequented here all those years completely wrong?

We all can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Any time a pitcher has to consciously change her mechanics it's most likely going to cause a loss of velocity. I had one of my better pitchers experiment with not dragging her toe and it messed her up. Instead of just pitching she had to focus on how she was pitching.
Therefore these girls who pitched illegally for years now have an advantage because they don’t have to change anything in the middle of games. They can continue to pitch effectively without the worry of needing to keep their toe down due to the times they did get called on it.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Therefore these girls who pitched illegally for years now have an advantage because they don’t have to change anything in the middle of games. They can continue to pitch effectively without the worry of needing to keep their toe down due to the times they did get called on it.
That may be true if in fact it's an advantage. Generally speaking girls who can't keep in contact with the ground have less than optimal drive mechanics. If and when it becomes legal and pitchers learn to pitch without dragging that may change. Keep in mind that in International play you don't have to drag and it doesn't seem that those pitchers have an advantage over USA pitchers. And when USA pitchers participate in International events the few that I have seen don't stop dragging. There are International games on YouTube, check them out. It's the crow hop that is the wild care here.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It's the crow hop that is the wild card here.
Thats a good way to put it!

My verbage is Leapish' ...
The interpretation of the leapish' will start to fascinate and mesmerize... the eyes become engaged and fixated like people looking to the skies for ufo's and orbs. 👀👁👁

👽

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I should also add that there are lots of pitchers now that don't drag all the way from push off to landing and it doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to them. Once you start looking at video you see that it is common.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30