Late Player, Can't Enter Game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Fed does go over the top on some stuff, especially when it comes to being the fashion police. But, if the rest of the country was anything like here Im not sure the coaches even knew who their players were. We would constantly get lineups with numbers transposed, wrong names, no subs etc. Since the new rule I have only had to issue 2 warnings, so it did make a difference.

Jun 22, 2008
On a different sort of note. I know you can finish with 8 players , but can a team start a game with 8?

Depends on the rule set you are playing under. ASA allows you to start the game short handed, FED rules require the game to be started with 9, can end with 8. Not sure of other rules sets.

Jan 24, 2011
Depends on the rule set you are playing under. ASA allows you to start the game short handed, FED rules require the game to be started with 9, can end with 8. Not sure of other rules sets.

Interesting. My 14u team was playing last week with 9 players. I had a player get a concussion and had to be removed from the game. One of the umpires told me I could finish with 8 , but would have to forfeit the next game since I was shorthanded. After being made aware of the situation , the tournament director ruled I could start with 8 because "he wouldnt make anyone forfeit under those circumstances". This was a local ASA tournament with mostly local teams

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 4-1-D-1-a A game may begin or finish with one less than required to start.

I also checked USSSA rules and they also allow the game to be started short handed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207