Late Player, Can't Enter Game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Playing in a league game, we play by ASA Junior Olympic rules.

I had a player show up late (6th inning) and I was told that I couldn't sub her into the game. I didn't want to add her to the lineup I wanted to sub her in for another player.

We had 8 players to start. She was on the roster.

I couldn't find anything about it in the "league rules", I am assuming this is covered by the ASA rules.

Do I have to list her as a sub on the lineup card? I guess I don't understand the rule as what is the time limit for not allowing a player to sub in? After the lineup hits around once?

Just trying to educate myself going forward.

Thanks,

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You should have listed her as a 'sub' on the line up card you turned in to the umpire before the game if you thought there was any chance she would make it to the game. Your line up card for each game is what matters, not your roster.

Yeah just chalk this one up as a lesson learned, every girl on your team should be on your line up card unless you are 100% sure they are not coming. I've had girls that were at another activity and said they were not coming but show up after the game start because other activity went short or was canceled etc., I always just list everyone on the bottom as a sub.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You are getting bad information. If a player is a legally rostered player, she may enter the game at any time, regardless as to when she arrived or whether here name was included on the bottom of the line-up card or not. ASA 4.1.A.2

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You are getting bad information. If a player is a legally rostered player, she may enter the game at any time, regardless as to when she arrived or whether here name was included on the bottom of the line-up card or not. ASA 4.1.A.2

If that's the case (and I'm not disputing it), then it sounds like listing subs is really a courtesy. Why not just list your starting 9?

Jun 22, 2008
You indicated you had 8 players to start. Were you still playing with 8 when the girl showed up? If so, not only do the rules allow her to be added to the lineup, they actually require her to enter the game and take the vacant position. If you started with and were still playing with 8, the 9th batting position in your lineup should have been vacant. When the player arrived she would not be able to be used as a sub for another player, she would have had to taken the vacant 9th position.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
If that's the case (and I'm not disputing it), then it sounds like listing subs is really a courtesy. Why not just list your starting 9?

The rules do say all available substitutes should be listed on the lineup card. But, they may be added later without penalty. FED rules do now have a penalty for an incorrect lineup card. The first change is a warning to the coach, the second change is a restriction to the dugout. There were plenty of HS coaches who were abusing it and not listing their subs or submitting lineups with incorrect numbers or names.

and chalk this up to you learn something new every day, funny thing is I went to my rulebook (PONY since that is what we play) and I actually have a big asterisk by it but still did not remember, just goes to show you how popular myths get started and every one just assumes they are true.

Thanks as usual for the correct answer.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rules do say all available substitutes should be listed on the lineup card. But, they may be added later without penalty. FED rules do now have a penalty for an incorrect lineup card. The first change is a warning to the coach, the second change is a restriction to the dugout. There were plenty of HS coaches who were abusing it and not listing their subs or submitting lineups with incorrect numbers or names.

Yeah, I think Fed went a little over the edge on this. It basically states that a player who shows up late cannot be added to the line-up card without risking, at least, a warning. To avoid that, then you get a line-up card with more names on it than bodies in the dugout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283