know the situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello All:

Looking for some advice here on the situation? If there are no outs and a girl on second and ball is hit to left field one bounce into lf gloves, she is 40-50 ft from cutout and throws thru straight to home and runner heads back to thirdbase which prevents runner from scoring . If the ball gets thrown to cutoff runner scores .

My question is there more than one play here ? Do we have to throw to cutoff or to second base? Other than a winning run couldn't throwing home be ok ? Yes runner may advance to second but wouldn't you trade an out for an extra base??

Please let me know your answers ???

Thanks
Rich Couso

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Rich, without knowing any further details I'd say we would do as you describe. I believe in trying to get the lead runner once they are in scoring position, or at least holding her from scoring.

1) We work on these things a lot. Here is my take. Sounds like the 2b runner will know the ball is down ( not fly out ) so she's coming full speed ahead, like you said a throw to the cutoff is a waste, shes going to score.

2) Probably by the time the LF throws she's going to be at/past 3b, she is blind to the throw since it's behind her. Couple of things happen here, A) she is too close to home to stop and runs into the out B) she sees the throw as it comes by her and has to stop that full speed run and change directions C) that buys the defense time to set her up for a run down or pass off

3) The batter will be facing the throw to cutoff or second as she rounds first. She knows the run will score, she's not going to risk an extra base with no outs. Plus the first base coach ( who she just passed ) should be yelling/signaling instructions to hold up.

So by the cutoff or 2b throw you have given them a run ( unchallenged ), given a base hit, given up a RBI, and still have no outs to show for it.

My pennies.

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for your input .....

Rich, without knowing any further details I'd say we would do as you describe. I believe in trying to get the lead runner once they are in scoring position, or at least holding her from scoring.

1) We work on these things a lot. Here is my take. Sounds like the 2b runner will know the ball is down ( not fly out ) so she's coming full speed ahead, like you said a throw to the cutoff is a waste, shes going to score.

2) Probably by the time the LF throws she's going to be at/past 3b, she is blind to the throw since it's behind her. Couple of things happen here, A) she is too close to home to stop and runs into the out B) she sees the throw as it comes by her and has to stop that full speed run and change directions C) that buys the defense time to set her up for a run down or pass off

3) The batter will be facing the throw to cutoff or second as she rounds first. She knows the run will score, she's not going to risk an extra base with no outs. Plus the first base coach ( who she just passed ) should be yelling/signaling instructions to hold up.

So by the cutoff or 2b throw you have given them a run ( unchallenged ), given a base hit, given up a RBI, and still have no outs to show for it.

My pennies.

Jul 2, 2013
Our 1B covers this cut-off from the pitches circle (pitcher may do). The LF is to throw to the catcher, but low for a one hop.

The 1st baseman listens to the dugout coach, or another player assigned (3B?). If the runner from second tries to score home, and the ball is on line, on our team the coach says nothing, as home is the preferred play.

If the runner rounds third and stops, the dugout coach (or 3B) yells "CUT" and the 1st baseman is to cut off the ball, look the runner back at 3rd, and try to make the play at 2nd base.

This is high school ball. The fielder at second base will usually get a runner trying to steal home base, after getting the throw from our cut-off player.

In high school in our area, a normal fast runner is out at home.

Last edited:
In the situation you described the throw will NEVER go to the cutoff. I teach girls starting at 14U which is when they almost all have the needed arm strength that every ball hit in front of them in the outfield does not go to the cutoff. The cutoff is for balls that are in the gap or in some way have them going backwards a ball in front of you never goes to the cutoff just for the reason you described the cutoff will be just a few feet in front of them and it is a wasted throw.

Make sure you know the game situation if you are up by 6 or 7 the coach might want the throw to go to 2B to stop the runner from advancing to scoring position and keep the force in play.

Unless the outfield is playing really deep for some reason this should be a simple play for most outfielders a nice step and throw the girl should be out or held up by the third base coach most off the time, make sure they concentrate on good hard straight throws I'll take 2 or 3 bounces before an off line throw or airmailing the backstop. The procedure SCDad laid out works fine just make sure if the P backs up C and 1B cuts from the mound that the RF covers first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad