"Just High School" DD Brag Posts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
It's not "Just" High School - My DD was in the same boat last year. Made Varsity Softball her Freshman year, but couldn't play because of a torn ACL from basketball. She is back and really enjoying high school ball. Last night went 2 for 4 with a text book bunt to load the bases, then a 2 run RBI Double that hit the Fence.

Oct 25, 2009
I would have put money on basketball. I've seen too many girls loose softball opportunities from blowing out a knee playing basketball.

Will she be playing volleyball again??

My DD tore her ACL in basketball, finished it off as a catcher backing up a bad throw to 1st base. She recovered in 6 months and returned to catching, earning HS MVP junior and senior years and Conference MVP junior year.

She decided not to play in college. The good news is she earned a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and is in the final year of earning a McKenzie Institute Diploma.

Conditioning is extremely important to help prevent ACL injuries. Lots and lots of jump rope and agility ladders, etc.

Volleyball also contributes to shoulder injury issues.

"Just HS ball" at least plays the full 7 innings. Many outcomes would be different if they were limited by time to 4 or 5 innings. Time limits are ruining the game of softball!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Well, since we're bragging. My DD has been struggling batting (still over the .425 mark) at the end of travel season. Changed batting coaches, work over the off-season. HS coaches weren't sure about what she was doing but let go. Second at bat, lined a 3-run over-the-fence homer. For the game, she was 3 for 4.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My DD tore her ACL in basketball, finished it off as a catcher backing up a bad throw to 1st base. She recovered in 6 months and returned to catching, earning HS MVP junior and senior years and Conference MVP junior year.

She decided not to play in college. The good news is she earned a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and is in the final year of earning a McKenzie Institute Diploma.

Conditioning is extremely important to help prevent ACL injuries. Lots and lots of jump rope and agility ladders, etc.

Volleyball also contributes to shoulder injury issues.

"Just HS ball" at least plays the full 7 innings. Many outcomes would be different if they were limited by time to 4 or 5 innings. Time limits are ruining the game of softball!

I have my own thoughts on DD's VB future, particularly since the coach is not a proponent of dynamic warmups, but we'll wait to cross that bridge until we get there! Encouraging to hear post-ACL success stories.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I would have guessed soccer myself. The knee injury rates in girls is phenomenal. At the NCAA level I believe it was the 2nd most injury prone sport after mens' football.

Great game by your DD. That's what makes it all worthwhile, she will remember that game for a long long time.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD really LOVES school ball. She gets to play with her friends for her friends and her school. Here the fast pitch season is in the fall, so I have no school ball brags to share (that and my dd is still in middle school).

Oh and GM, thanks for the reinforcement that my DD didn't need to play volleyball (or basketball or soccer).

Nov 29, 2009
As everyone has figured out by now, ACL injuries to girls are way more common then in boys. Research, learn, then make sure your DD knows what she needs to know.

This why I HATE to see a softball player play basketball in HS. The coaching, generally, is not experienced enough to work on those things to help strengthen the ACL's. I've lost count as to how many girls I know personally or have heard about who lost softball seasons or college opportunities due to an ACL injury suffered while playing basketball in HS. I don't hate the sport. Hate the extremely high risk of serious knee injury a softball player can suffer playing it.

If a college softball scholarship is a real possibility for a softball player I would not allow them to play basketball in HS. When my daughter played her scholarship was worth $80,000 over the four years. To me it's just not worth the risk.

T

theaddition

Recently my DD's High school team and a fielding contest (ground balls) in which once you booted
a ball you sat down and were out of the contest.
She finished third out of 16. Hold on there's more to the story.
She fielded with a foam pancake glove.
Not only that, she has a broken thumb on her glove hand and is in a cast from the middle of her hand, thumb completely, and up to her mid forearm. Now that's some soft hands.

Not only that, she taught herself to throw like this.
Japanese Behind The Back Strike Three Pitch, Video | NESW Sports

Mar 15, 2011
My DD's HS team FINALLY got a game in today after 5 games were postponed due to global warming, err cooling. She's a freshman and made varsity as a pitcher. Didn't start today but got in the game in the 5th with the score tied, 1-1. She struck out 5 batters over 3 innings and got the win. No walks, no hits, no runs. In her only AB she knocked in the game winning run. Final score was 4-1

So glad that SB season is finally here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard