July 1st Came and Went

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My nephew went through the process this year. If I remember correctly in baseball it was August 1st for phone calls?? I think he could get the 'literature/paperwork' a month after that?? Then there is a 'quite period', then open, then 'dead', then open. I do remember he would call me about once a month telling me about a new school that had contacted him. I don't recall them all calling at 12:01 on the open season, so don't panic. :)

He chose a D2 private college that specialized in his field of study. Full ride.

Now here is my question. My brother and I both played D1..........20+ years ago. My DD will be a sophomore this year. Can you give us any tips on your process? Of coarse we play HS and travel ball. We will be hitting a few college exposer tournaments this fall, more in 2011. Not only am i sure things have changed in the last 20 years, but I am the only one in the family with a softball player. She is a pitcher. Softball seems to have the least amount of scholarship funds per school, baseball 20 years ago was much easier to get noticed because of limited top players ( teams ) and more funds were/are available.

Thanks for any help.
GD

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From my own experience: It isn't worth worrying about. Most kids don't play college sports, and somehow they seem to do just fine. In fact, I think you'll find that few billionaires ever played softball.

Set up a backup plan as if your DD had never played softball. Have her go ahead and apply at colleges she might want to attend.

Dec 3, 2008
Not all coaches jump on the phone on July 1st. Emaling has opened the window to pretty easy communication, and you've been able to do that since September of the previous year. You can always contact coaches to express continued interest in their program (either via email or phone) and see where you stand with them.

Jul 9, 2010
Going through this right now.

We just got back from Colorado, and my DD's #1 choice said she was in their top 15, but they only need 4. She is pretty deflated right now. Never mind that the 4 they need are not her positions, it's still a gut wrencher for her.

At the same time, two top 10 D3's have contacted her. Her first reaction was "D3?". However, I am trying to get her to understand that she can still get the degree she wants, and play in college. I suspect that a few practices, and (hopefully) making a run into the NCAA tourney, would make her forget her disappointment. In fact, I suspect she would get a great degree, and have a heck of a lot of fun in the process. Getting her to think that through right now is tough. There are still a couple of other D1's we're waiting to hear from, so we'll see how it goes.

After looking into the SB program, and the academics, I'm actually pretty stoked about one of the D-3's. Figuring out the financials may be difficult, but we'll just have to play that out.

I think that she thinks there is an unwritten stigma of not being "good enough" to go D1, while some (actually, just a very few) of her friends make D1 verbals.

As far as comments on the process - emotionally difficult, to say the least.

Jul 9, 2010
GD - Best advice I can give is this: cast a wide net, try to figure out what degree she wants, and match schools to it. Send out lots of emails to lots of coaches, and fill out lots of online profile forms. Try to hit big, large, urban, rural, north, south, etc.

Have patience, make great grades, and strap in.

Dec 3, 2008
jacketsfan,

Your daughter is fortunate to have a parent who doesn't buy into the Division I hype.

If your daughter goes to Division I State University, everyone else on her team will also be Division I athletes... so none of her new friends/teammates will be impressed with the hype.

If your daughter goes to Division III College, everyone else on her team will also be Division III athletes... so none of her new friends/teammates will judge her based on what division softball she competes in.

It is cool for exactly one summer -- and to approximately 15 other people -- to have BIG DIVISION I SCHOOL listed next to your name on the team profile sheet. After that, no one cares either way.

She should play where she thinks she can play. And/or where she thinks she can thrive as a student-athlete. I know I'm preaching to the choir -- I can tell by your post -- but it's worth restating.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't remember there being many D2s in IL. There are a lot more in MO., though.

Some of the smaller D1s offer a great education. I am thinking of Bradley, specifically, in Peoria.

My experience is in coaching in the NJCAA and there are several top softball programs that are near you. You could count on her going there for next to nothing and then, let that coach find the D1 opportunity for her.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lewis University in Romeoville is D2. I believe that Springfield-Illinois is D2 also.

You might be able to get 80% paid by a D2. I would suspect that they would offer her 50% with a chance to go up to a 100% in a couple of years if she progresses.

Here is what happens:

A coach makes up a list of 15 or 20 kids she wants. The list is rank-ordered. As kids sign with other programs, the list changes. So, a kid moves up the list as the recruiting season progresses.

The coach that just called your DD couldn't get their #1 or #2 choice, so they call your DD. It is a little weird, but the D1 schools are all chasing the same 10 girls. As soon as those girls sign with other schools, then they go back and talk to the other kids on the list. (It is a little bit silly to think that a top prospect from California is going to go to Middle Tennessee, but hope springs eternal.)

Things change rapidly right now. Think carefully before turning down money because another coach is considering your DD.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA