Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
I would like to think MLB managers would not have a say so in who umps their games. I cant imagine Joe Maddon calling up the head of the umpires union and asking him to assign or not assign certain umps to Angel's games.

If you are a college ump and being liked or preferred by college coaches could affect your schedule/income, therein lies a problem and may be contributing to the non-calls on illegal pitches. Does the if you want to work a lot better not enforce the rules mentality exist?
Well Angel would never get an assignment! lol.....

The MLB Umpire's Union is STRONG. No way they would allow managers to dictate assignments. No way.

Aug 21, 2020
Anyone else watching the Fullerton vs CSU game? Leap? Check. Replant? Check. Out of the pitching lane? Check. Umpire(s) calling any of it? Nope. Inconsistent calling of the rules? Check.

Agreed. Just tuned in and saw on heck of a replant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Well that's a lot of BS. Coaches should have zero sway in which umps they get. Do you think MLB managers have a say so in who umps their games?
You're comparing college softball to MLB? That's a stretch.

The process is this: there is a UIC for each conference. After the games, coaches fill out a survey. Then send that in. Can Patty (or any coach) 100% tell the UIC that John Doe is not allowed to work her conference games? Probably not. But, I bet that UIC takes Patty Gasso's opinion and advice in the back of his mind. I bet that bad umpire she hates would be selected for her games if there was no other option. If you don't think she has some sway in who umps her games at home, I think you're a little naive.

ESPECIALLY non-conference games at home. Those umpires will be hand picked.

I realize there will be people who say "Believe me, I know" on a variety of subjects and we question their credibility or where they get their info. I have personally been in the softball offices after games, where there was bad umpiring, and the HC has said: "That guy will not work this field again!" And I can also tell you that guy did not appear at any more games that season. Did he return the following season? I don't know. But it's crazy to think the coaches, especially someone like Patty Gasso has no say in who is umping her games. I do not believe she sends a list of acceptable umps to the Big 12 UIC. But I can almost guarantee there are people she has said no way to in the future. And because she's Gasso, because it's Oklahoma, because they're on National TV, the UIC will probably listen and abide.

Disagree if you want. I know what I've seen and heard and how the system works.

Jul 31, 2015
Jordy Bahl is 14-0 with 130 K’s over 78 innings with a .80 ERA. That is why this thread is so long.

No.

This thread is long because Jordy Bahl is pitching illegally, all the time.

Not because people hate OU.
Not because people hate Patti Gasso.
Not because she's 14-0 or any other stat.
And no one is being parochial about it.

If you read through this thread, you will see strong arguments being made for amending the rules, which would make Bahl's pitching style legal.

Aug 21, 2008
I think no one wants to see games that are 1-0 every game, and I think that's one of the reasons for the acceptance of the offensive advantages. I'd also argue part of the higher scoring is that softball has learned from baseball and you have better hitters elevating the ball more frequently. I question if pitching is keeping up with offense; does a pitcher have enough spin and placement and are the right pitches being call at the right time?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I do. I fit into that 1-0 category. That's the life I lived and I like it. I've won (and mostly lost) so many 1-0 games I can't count. But, I do realize I'm probably in the minority.

But, you said the million dollar argument: the best pitcher in the world is still subjected to throwing the right pitch at the right time. Winning that "cat and mouse game" with the hitters. My issue is, the hitters today can win that fight with the equipment alone. When you have 90lbs slappers who can swing through and hit a ball 300ft because of the bats and balls, I think a serious argument can be made that we've switched the advantage too far to the offense.

The other thing that has changed hitting in women's fastpitch is the introduction of men's fastpitch players and their game strategies. Picking pitchers in particular. More and more men's FP guys are entering the college game and bringing that skill with them. I cannot begin to tell you the advantage that can bring to a hitter to know when a change up is coming. Or if a pitcher cannot throw the riseball at a marginal location, always out of the zone, having that picked means the hitter can keep their bat on the shoulder.

When I was coaching, and having to call pitches because catchers were never taught how to do this in their youth, I would always channel myself into that pitcher and make her throw what I would throw in a situation. Then pray they hit the spot, or had the necessary movement. lol.

Oct 14, 2019
No.

This thread is long because Jordy Bahl is pitching illegally, all the time.

Not because people hate OU.
Not because people hate Patti Gasso.
Not because she's 14-0 or any other stat.
And no one is being parochial about it.

If you read through this thread, you will see strong arguments being made for amending the rules, which would make Bahl's pitching style legal.

The reason other pitchers don’t pitch like this is because they can’t. It’s beyond their physical capability.

Feb 15, 2017
The reason other pitchers don’t pitch like this is because they can’t. It’s beyond their physical capability.
That's a bold statement Cotton. Bill Hillhouse are you in agreement?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06