Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That already happens.
Learn to have a better pop time!

imo
Cannot control/nor blame human faulty opinions who has to use their opinion to officiate a game.
Is it opinions? Eyesight? Laziness? Fear of coach? Lack of knowledge? When an ump sees a pitcher clearly 2 or 3 inches in the air on every pitch, what stops him/her from calling it???? It is much easier to clearly see a pitcher's foot in the air than to see a runner leave 3 inches early.

Side thought: Recently saw an ump (HP) call a runner out for leaving early in the first inning when she was just leading off, no attempt to steal. I like that ump. Sends a message to the coaches that instruct their players to leave early.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is it opinions? Eyesight? Laziness? Fear of coach? Lack of knowledge? When an ump sees a pitcher clearly 2 or 3 inches in the air on every pitch, what stops him/her from calling it???? It is much easier to clearly see a pitcher's foot in the air than to see a runner leave 3 inches early.

Side thought: Recently saw an ump (HP) call a runner out for leaving early in the first inning when she was just leading off, no attempt to steal. I like that ump. Sends a message to the coaches that instruct their players to leave early.
Simply by gathering all the different opinions on dfp and how people who are watching not even officiating have a difference of opinion on how it should be officiated and whether it should be applied all the time or just once or let it go at a certain age.
This is a great example of how inconsistent opinion is.
Then put that at the speed of the game and the element of the moment with everything the umpire has to officiate. Becomes a grain of sand on the beach.

Who knows what would happen if every game had three umpires and the majority of the game the umpire by Third could just be staring at the pitchers feet 😉. How many people want to pay for that umpire? Oops can already see from the discussions of college pitching whether or not it gets called, so there you have it. Inconsistency

And I'm going to say it again LOL

that's why my solution is to become a better hitter 😁🥳

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...???
Sooo you ARE saying some pitchers do get an advantage from it.

You took my comments out of context.

"Not that leaping in and of itself is an advantage. It most certainly is not. But it does allow some pitchers to attain a personal level of performance that is not possible when they are forced to pitch in accordance with the rules."

I guess if you rationalize that playing outside of the rules, something many would describe as cheating is an advantage, then you are correct. But their mechanical deficiencies resulting in a leap are not an advantage. Simply put even if leaping were legal it would not provide the pitchers in question with a competitive advantage. Their poor mechanics are a determent to success not a pathway.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You took my comments out of context.

"Not that leaping in and of itself is an advantage. It most certainly is not. But it does allow some pitchers to attain a personal level of performance that is not possible when they are forced to pitch in accordance with the rules."

I guess if you rationalize that playing outside of the rules, something many would describe as cheating is an advantage, then you are correct. But their mechanical deficiencies resulting in a leap are not an advantage. Simply put even if leaping were legal it would not provide the pitchers in question with a competitive advantage. Their poor mechanics are a determent to success not a pathway.
...was asking -?- for added discussion 🙂...

Asking in the event the leapish is allowed.

Do not recall how long ago you have been involved in softball? Were you part of softball when pitchers were allowed to leap/ hop?
Before the rules were changed to where they can't.
(Or shouldnt be)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"This is a great example of how inconsistent opinion is."

By definition, RULES are not opinions. Rules are supposed to be consistent. They should change the rule (which I am in favor of) or enforce the rule. It really is that simple.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
"This is a great example of how inconsistent opinion is."

By definition, RULES are not opinions. Rules are supposed to be consistent. They should change the rule (which I am in favor of) or enforce the rule. It really is that simple.
😁okay rules written down arent calling the game, a human is.

Gonna guess from examples in history that can write down whatever rules you want, there will always be people questioning officiating them.
Some will adhere to them and some will break them. And there will still be opinions on that.

Banter away...
Or
Hit away! 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid