ITB - injured player rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I would like to hear feedback on whether the umpire was correct or not in his interpretation of the tiebreaker rule. Situation was we had used up all of our bench players and had no more substitutes left. A player was injured and could not continue. The last regulation inning ended with the injured player's scheduled at bat which she was declared out because she could not bat (no issue here). When our turn in the tie breaker came up, the umpire ruled that the injured girl (last at bat of previous inning) would be the player to start on second. Since she could not play, no player was placed at second and an out was charged. Instead of starting the inning with a runner on 2nd and no out, we started with no one on base and 1 out. I cannot find anything in the rules that covers this. At the very least, I don't believe we should have been charged an out during the tie breaker. Essentially, we were charged two consecutive outs for her missed at bat. Thoughts anyone?

Jun 22, 2008
ASA rule supplement 54. Third paragraph.

When a team playing shorthanded is involved in a tie breaker and it is the shorthanded spot in the batting order that should start at 2nd base, do not call an out. Instead, place on second the player who precedes the absent player in the lineup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan