IS TRAVEL BALL leaving people/players/rec & school behind...OR...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Is it really an issue though? Are there players being denied the opportunity to play in college because they can't afford travel?

I find there are varying levels of travel for everyone. With the limited number/dollars of college scholarships for softball it's not clear what's being denied.

Jun 8, 2016
Is it really an issue though? Are there players being denied the opportunity to play in college because they can't afford travel?

I find there are varying levels of travel for everyone. With the limited number/dollars of college scholarships for softball it's not clear what's being denied.
Some players are being denied the ability to compete at the highest level of TB which a lot of the time means highest level of College softball. How many P5 kids played for a TB team which only played locally? In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a huge thing but to ignore that it doesn't happen is silly.

All that said, the level of softball now is the highest it has ever been because there are talented kids who can afford it and hence get to compete against similarly talented kids every weekend. If you could somehow open up the talent pool that level would even be better.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While I can see those talking about income disparity. Which IMO is its own topic.

The conversation that I proposed is basically how come travel ball is flourishing so well while rec ball and school ball seemingly falling to the wayside?

As to costs of playing in travel ball teams.
There are so many travel ball teams in this area that there are choices that are more dependent on players ability than they are income. There are plenty of teams that don't cost as much as others that those players do go on to play at D1 colleges.
(To $ topic, there is a different discussion in those players that are going to choose to go to private schools because those private schools cost three or four times as much. Financial Obligations are something people need to plan for.)
*Softball development can be independent and have nothing to do with money.
With the internet people don't have to pay for lessons they just need to have to pay attention to learning and applying. called initiative

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Such a small number of players play at the D1 softball level. Forming the conversation around the assumption that D1 softball is the end goal is shortsighted.

Some family's just enjoy the ride.
Agree!

Brings it back to community programs like rec ball and school ball

May 27, 2013
While I can see those talking about income disparity. Which IMO is its own topic.

The conversation that I proposed is basically how come travel ball is flourishing so well while rec ball and school ball seemingly falling to the wayside?

You asked is TB leaving some players behind. Some of us answered yes due to income disparity. We answered the question you posed with our interpretation of it.

Jun 8, 2016
Such a small number of players play at the D1 softball level. Forming the conversation around the assumption that D1 softball is the end goal is shortsighted.

Some family's just enjoy the ride.
Strawman argument. My point was that if a kid and a family wanted to do so there could possibly be hurdles which have nothing to do with talent or work ethic. If you don't think that is the case then you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I also said in the bigger scheme of things it isn't a huge problem.

May 27, 2013
Some players are being denied the ability to compete at the highest level of TB which a lot of the time means highest level of College softball. How many P5 kids played for a TB team which only played locally? In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a huge thing but to ignore that it doesn't happen is silly.

This exactly!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00