IS TRAVEL BALL leaving people/players/rec & school behind...OR...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Reading posts about people commenting what is happening to rec programs and school programs, where are the parents.
Without parents stepping up rec ball and school ball is falling to the wayside.

Then reading Posts people commenting about players being left behind.
I'm responding without reading the 9 pages of comments so I may be repeating people, but I think the issue is with the parents who do step up.

All those dads who used to be the much-needed rec coaches are now the dads who decided to start a crappy travel team because their DD was "too good" for the local rec league and because of whatever reason makes him sleep better at night, she wasn't selected for any of the legit travel teams in their area.

Now, it is true that the daughters of coaches are often among the better players, but those aren't the girls getting left behind. It's the girls who aren't good enough for/don't want to play on travel teams. It's the girls without the support system required to work at home (it's not easy to work on hitting by yourself when you can't afford a bat, a tee, a net; when you don't have the space at home or a backyard to speak of; when you aren't allowed to go to the park by yourself). It's the girls you didn't consider at all in your post, which is evidence in itself that they're being left behind. Out of sight, out of mind.

I've ruffled feathers before when talking about privilege, but these discussions always show who doesn't recognize their own privilege. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I had many of the same advantages people here have. But it's really important to understand those advantages if you want to understand how children without those advantages may not be afforded the same opportunities. It's awfully hard for a young girl to dedicate herself to softball when she's never had any place to learn and play the sport.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All those dads who used to be the much-needed rec coaches are now the dads who decided to start a crappy travel team because their DD was "too good" for the local rec league and because of whatever reason makes him sleep better at night, she wasn't selected for any of the legit travel teams in their area.
I didn't mention Financial disparity in my original post because the post is asking why is travel ball flourishing while rec ball is diminishing. People are still spending money it's just elsewhere.

The reason that you have written I agree with. Those people who would step up and Coach did not want to do it in rec ball. The question is why? Is it simply the shiny object, heck the shiny object costs more...

And I agree with a post far back in the discussion that said people get attracted to the Big Shiny object...aka travel ball.

Those two things in combination leaves anybody who still in rec ball to have to take their own initiative in rec ball.
👉 So it brings the question up again why are there less people willing in rec ball to take initiative at that level?
Heck Financial disparity would mean that there should be people who are being more observant of their income would want rec ball to succeed and help it prosper.
Redundant but that's really the question...

* reminder this post is just a topic...
Written to open discussion...
Not a statement.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
In my area rec ball isn’t exactly cheap anymore. When dd played rec eight years ago the registration fee was $150. For some families that is a lot for a uniform top and about 15 games if you’re lucky. I know to us in the travel world that seems like nothing - but it also does not include bat, helmet, glove, facemask, etc. That all adds up at the end of the day for only 2.5 months of ball.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I didn't mention Financial disparity in my original post because the post is asking why is travel ball flourishing while rec ball is diminishing. People are still spending money it's just elsewhere.

The reason that you have written I agree with. Those people who would step up and Coach did not want to do it in rec ball. The question is why? Is it simply the shiny object, heck the shiny object costs more...

And I agree with a post far back in the discussion that said people get attracted to the Big Shiny object...aka travel ball.

Those two things in combination leaves anybody who still in rec ball to have to take their own initiative in rec ball.
👉 So it brings the question up again why are there less people willing in rec ball to take initiative at that level?
Heck Financial disparity would mean that there should be people who are being more observant of their income would want rec ball to succeed and help it prosper.
Redundant but that's really the question...

* reminder this post is just a topic...
Written to open discussion...
Not a statement.
Just a random open quick response. The majority of younger rec teams have barely one pitcher that can make strike percentage minimums to help the team win, and also can't help the team batting see live pitching in practice, where enough strikes are being thrown. We can teach fielding and hitting to a degree, pitching in general is an entirely different animal in my opinion. Hitters trying to learn hitting in a rec league where not enough strikes are being thrown, are a mess waiting to happen and disaster for the longevity of players, wanting to play the game year in year out.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just a random open quick response. The majority of younger rec teams have barely one pitcher that can make strike percentage minimums to help the team win, and also can't help the team batting see live pitching in practice, where enough strikes are being thrown. We can teach fielding and hitting to a degree, pitching in general is an entirely different animal in my opinion. Hitters trying to learn hitting in a rec league where not enough strikes are being thrown, are a mess waiting to happen and disaster for the longevity of players, wanting to play the game year in year out.
👆A great explanation... as to how rec ball is either falling apart or is being pulled apart. To previous comments made, agree, that is part of the trickle effect happening to middle school and then high school programs. Lesser-developed players makes for sloppy games that maybe aren't as attractive to do/coach/play.
Friend of mine coaches Varsity at a high school here in SoCal he said their opening game score was 25 to 15 and his team had at least 20 errors and still won.
Even here in SoCal at that high school team not one player plays travel ball.
So...👇
If the parents who in the past took initiative in rec ball, now have taken their initiative to travel ball,
~? who then will step up in this current times to restore rec ball or will rec ball become a thing of the past?
Where is initiative for rec ball?

B t w glad people took interest in this thread and discuss this. Hopefully it will prompt stimulate others in the softball Community to recognize where there is a critical need. Perhaps some of those who have taken their initiative to travel ball will realize the community is our resource...
put some effort into community rec help the youngsters and grow young seeds.
Otherwise those who are going to join rec ball,
know that it is a volunteer effort and your initiative is needed.
(Rec ball does not have paid coaches or even Administration in most cases just because it's a community program.)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
I imagine that all rec sports are suffering a little today except maybe at the entry levels. It's not that hard to get somebody to try something when they're 6, 7, 8 years old. But by the time they're 10, there's a higher chance that they're (1) playing another sport that season, whether it's soccer, lacrosse, etc., or (2) they've settled on one sport year-round. And on top of that, 10U rec softball is slow-moving, scary and boring for many.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We support our local LL for softball because that's where my daughters got their start. We played through softball majors because we felt it was necessary to give back to the younger girls. While my girls have moved on to high level travel, and eventually, college ball, they still find the time to help out the organization. In fact, my daughter gives clinics for anyone who wants to learn how to pitch to the players in the league. Maybe it helps them develop more pitching to make the LL games more exciting and retain girls better.

Jul 14, 2018
Lots of great responses and ideas here. I absolutely agree that money plays a huge part. There’s a pitcher on DD’s HS team that’s a big, strong kid who used to dominate in rec. We haven’t seen much of her lately, because her parents simply can’t afford travel ball and pitching lessons. She still throws hard, but she’s wild and basically throws one pitch because she hasn’t been playing and practicing year-round like DD. She’d be better than she is if she spent her time the last few years just throwing a ball into a fence, but that’s tough for a kid to sustain when there’s no games in sight.

One other point about Rec ball: the toughest thing to manage is the disparity in player skills. It’s open to everyone, so you have advanced players who stick with it trying to play with pure beginners, and that’s a tough mix. DD and her TB friends stuck with Rec through 14U, because we know that you need those kids to come out and fill in the HS team.

Well, none of them came out to tryouts. They knew from what they saw in rec that they’d have no chance to make the team. Were they left behind? I guess so, but they’re doing other things that interest them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2019
👆A great explanation... as to how rec ball is either falling apart or is being pulled apart. To previous comments made, agree, that is part of the trickle effect happening to middle school and then high school programs. Lesser-developed players makes for sloppy games that maybe aren't as attractive to do/coach/play.
Friend of mine coaches Varsity at a high school here in SoCal he said their opening game score was 25 to 15 and his team had at least 20 errors and still won.
Even here in SoCal at that high school team not one player plays travel ball.
So...👇
If the parents who in the past took initiative in rec ball, now have taken their initiative to travel ball,
~? who then will step up in this current times to restore rec ball or will rec ball become a thing of the past?
Where is initiative for rec ball?

B t w glad people took interest in this thread and discuss this. Hopefully it will prompt stimulate others in the softball Community to recognize where there is a critical need. Perhaps some of those who have taken their initiative to travel ball will realize the community is our resource...
put some effort into community rec help the youngsters and grow young seeds.
Otherwise those who are going to join rec ball,
know that it is a volunteer effort and your initiative is needed.
(Rec ball does not have paid coaches or even Administration in most cases just because it's a community program.)

I love this thread!!!

I'll offer an opinion that may have already been covered ... what used to be "rec ball" a decade ago or so have now "migrated" to travel/competitive C ball. For many of the reasons already offered (good and bad), the parents who previously volunteered and lead/taught rec-level teams have moved into competitive play, joining existing orgs and/or forming their own teams. It's just a cultural shift ... with those parents/families affluent enough to be able to do this wanting to give their players and her friends the best possible experience.

So, rec leagues have effectively been cannabalized ... whether it's good or bad is tough to tell. I tend to believe that by focusing on competition as early as 8u and 10u, a lot of players and families do get turned off of the game before they have a chance to learn and enjoy it. So, by these girls get to HS ball and decide they'd like to give it a try, they are so far behind their peers who have been playing travel ball that the JV games are almost unwatchable ... the disparity between girls of similar athletic ability (one who stopped playing early, and one who plays competitively each season) is too great in terms of skills and game IQ.

Yes, work ethic and desire are intangibles that make a world of difference ... but how many 8 and 10 years olds have those skills? The focus on competitive play turns away many girls who in the past would actually develop those skills through their rec level experiences. So, I suspect we are prematurely culling the herd, and losing a generation of players in the process ...

Just my 2 cents and thoughts ... not sure any of this is correct, so I submit these comments with respect and appreciation for the larger discussion!

Jun 27, 2021
Good/mediocre players in bad HS areas leave for travel
Great players in bad areas make HS team competitive
Good players on great HS teams leave for travel because they cannot crack starting lineup
Great players on great HS teams don't leave for travel (State teams)
Younger HS players leaving because they feel as though they are missing out
Mediocre travel ball coaches/dads advising girls to play travel and not HS

It seems to be everyone else's fault why Rec or HS ball is bad, except the players and families. If you're not playing the national tournaments you're not playing travel ball and those don't happen during HS/college season. That is called paying someone's bills who suckered you into a tournament.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles