Is this coaching or pitching problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
1. Do you have another pitcher you can count on?
2. If you do - pitch her
3. If you don't your in trouble.
4. Find out when her "coach" (which is debatable) will allow her to pitch... if it is after your season is over, cut her from the team as she serves no purpose unless she can play another position and hit.
5. This is your team, not hers - don't get hijacked- you've got others to take care of, i'd say at least 15 or so other players?

I don't have much tolerance for people coaching kids who play for me - I've given lessons to many kids who've gone on to play college ball as well as I've coached several who got d1 scholarships - a 30 minute lesson once a week doesn't constitute much of a relationship compared to a coach who see's the kids day in and day out - your being held captive because of your lack of knowledge about pitching - I'd change that - Clinics, video, call college coaches, etc - learn...

Nice to know there are still coaches who are in it for the kids and not just for themselves.

Oct 22, 2009
"Coach, I'm going to go through a little down time while I work on some bad mechanics I need to fix. It won't take long and before you know it I'll be even better than before!" "Your cut".

Dec 12, 2009
CT
1. Do you have another pitcher you can count on?
2. If you do - pitch her
3. If you don't your in trouble.
4. Find out when her "coach" (which is debatable) will allow her to pitch... if it is after your season is over, cut her from the team as she serves no purpose unless she can play another position and hit.
5. This is your team, not hers - don't get hijacked- you've got others to take care of, i'd say at least 15 or so other players?

I don't have much tolerance for people coaching kids who play for me - I've given lessons to many kids who've gone on to play college ball as well as I've coached several who got d1 scholarships - a 30 minute lesson once a week doesn't constitute much of a relationship compared to a coach who see's the kids day in and day out - your being held captive because of your lack of knowledge about pitching - I'd change that - Clinics, video, call college coaches, etc - learn...

Gee...don't you wish your daughter played for this guy?!?!?

May 12, 2008
Without seeing the kid pitch, it is hard to tell what is going on.
Agreed.

As to the specific instructions: "Leave the hips open" makes sense. Many, many pitchers in HS are incorrectly taught to aggressively close the hips.
Are these pitchers leaving the hips open, aggressively closing them or something else? MOV 1 of 3, Windmill MOV 3 of 3, Windmill

The "no leg drive" doesn't make any sense...

Agreed.

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
Thanks for all the replies. It took so long to reply because my keyboard went south..missing keys like the "s" and "z"!! Anyways, the staff has decided to keep the kid on the team but we will not use her on the varsity pitching staff until she is at least all the way back. We spoke with the pitching coach and she insists she will not be ready to until first week in march. We are watching and working along with allowing her to have some pitching time on Jr Varsity. She didn't like that idea but are hands are tied.

We work her drills and we now have a parent/coach monitoring the progress. He has had some pitching experience with his older daughter! Again thanks for all imput it did assist us!!

Create a dialogue

This is certainly a problem that I am sure many coaches experience. Pitching coaches and batting coaches sometimes do not have agendas that correspond with that of a school/travel coach. As a pitching coach, I know that there are times when a motion is so mechanically unsound that it must be broken down and reworked from the ground up. That is a sacrifice that athletes sometimes must make to progress, but it should be done with awareness to the needs of the coming season. It doesn't seem appropriate that your pitcher is continuing without a complete motion as she heads into the season. I would personally research the coach whom she is seeing. Does this individual have a good reputation among good people? Has she worked with top flight pitchers in the past? In our region, we definitely know who works hard for their kids and who is just in it for a paycheck. If this is someone who is passionate about her students and wants them to succeed, she should be willing to sit down with you and discuss the best way to get your pitcher a complete motion in a timely manner. All three parties are going to feel very frustrated if there is seemingly no progress in that direction very soon. Also, if you have video footage of her and want a second opinion, I would certainly give my input. I really hope that works out well for you.
flawlessfastpitch.com
secretsofthediamond.blogspot.com

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
Thanks for the offer Julie. We are in the process of video taping her and her parents also are offering an old cd of when she was a sophomore pitching for our varsity. As soon as these video's are complete I will figure out out how to attach them either direct or youtube. My computer smart kids will have to help with that project!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid