Is Little League Being Unfair?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
I'm wondering if people are aware of the fact that the district in Oregon that hosts the softball Little League World Series gets a free pass into the tournament?

So if you live in District 4 in Oregon all you have to do is win district and you are in. You get to compete against all the teams that had to win their state and then their region . . . I was SHOCKED. How unfair is that to all the teams who worked and worked and played against competition all over their state and surrounding states and then you just get on your All Star team and win your district and your in the big show.

Am I the only one who thinks that just doesn't sound right?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That sounds OK to me as long as they are not taking someone else’s spot.

I know if I was an opposing coach this is the Team I would want to match up with, like you mentioned they didn’t survive the battle to get there and probably will not be nearly as good as the other Teams.

Apr 1, 2010
That sounds OK to me as long as they are not taking someone else’s spot.

I know if I was an opposing coach this is the Team I would want to match up with, like you mentioned they didn’t survive the battle to get there and probably will not be nearly as good as the other Teams.

It sounds somewhat akin to the way things were done back in DD's rec league days (in a small way). The normal team entry fee to the big C class tournament (held using the rec league fields) was lowered from the normal $350 range to $50 for rec league teams. It was a great deal financially for us rec parents, BUT our girls were basically cannon fodder for genuine competitive teams. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a payoff for the use of the facilities, but that team isn't going anywhere...

Jun 11, 2013
If anything it hurts them. they don't get to play the competition to make it. They do it that way in the World cup, olympics,etc.

Like said above as long as it doesn't take a spot away from another team it's not the end of the world.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast

You never know, in last years Junior softball World Series the host team made it to the championship game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose