Is a missed tag recorded as a hit to the batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2013
The batter slaps a bunt to first base. The first baseman attempts to tag the runner but is late and the tag is missed. The runner proceeds safely to first. Is this counted as an error to the first baseman or a hit to the batter?

Well since you said the tag was late I am assuming that is because the batter/runner ran past her before she could apply the tag, sound like the definition of a hit to me. Now if she had charged really hard and was only half way up the line when she missed the tag, then dropped the ball or overthrew the second baseman covering first that might be different but that is not what you said so I would record a hit.

Apr 15, 2013
The runner was just quick enough to get past the first baseman who fielded the bunt. She tried to apply the tag, but it was just a second too late as the runner was just barely passed her. The first baseman, then immediately threw home for a play there (as there was a runner on third at the time of the bunt) but that throw was late also.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If the first baseman had attempted to throw to first, would the batter have been out? If so, then it's a fielder's choice, no hit.

Otherwise, it was a hit.

Errors are charged when fielders fail to get outs because they miss balls they should catch or make bad throws. If those things don't happen, hits are awarded when batters get to first base faster than the ball.

Being faster than the fielders is technically the reason for all inside-the-park hits.

Last edited:
The only way I would change the score is if the 1B had thrown home and got the out, then I would record FC. Without being there it is hard to see if all this action took place within 10 feet of the plate maybe I could lean towards Cogans thought of FC but I am usually going to give the hitter the benefit of the doubt if they have already tried once and failed to get her out.

Jun 21, 2010
Something similar if you don't mind. Batter hits a hard grounder to near SS. SS doesn't gain control of the ball until batter gets to 1b. Is it an error on SS or a hit for batter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30