Introducing the changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
My 11 yr old just started to learn a change up. Looking for opinions on what grip is the easiest to develope, and are there any recommended videos to buy that could be helpful in developing this pitch. She does take some lessons from a college pitcher, but we were wondering about other opinions also.

Thanks
CM Swarm.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
In my daughters class they started learning the handshake change first. Most of the girls picked up on it quickly, as it doesn't require much of a difference in the grip from a fastball.

The most difficulty they do have is NOT slowing down their arms and giving it away

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I used to teach 3 different grips and ask the pitcher to have the patience to work all 3 for at least 3 weeks, THEN we'd let HER decide what she was most comfortable with. ANY NEW pitch is hard and they may quickly give up if you let them and SETTLE on a pitch as none can feel right until they practice.

** NOW - I believe a grip that does NOT show the back of the hand as we are really big in batting practice that if we see the back of teh hand at the hip, we KNOW change up is coming / better prepared to make good contact. (IF you let your batter hit chane-ups... )
Grips: 5 finger and in palm - fastball; circle change (thumb-forefinger touching)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1