Beginning the pitching journey,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
My DD is 8 years old about 6 months ago she decided she wanted to learn how to pitch. So I found the best pitching coach I could find and she started taking lessons every other week. When we started I ask the coach how long could you expect it to be until she would resemble looking somewhat competent at this. Her reply was about 6 months she said it seems like somewhere between 5-7 for most kids is when they really start to get it for some reason. She was spot on in the last 4-6 it is amazing at how it seems it just started all clicking in her head. We try to practice three days week these last few weeks she has got to where you can pitch for 30-45 min and 99% of the pitches will be catchable which was not the case two months ago. Now we are working on a changeup and they are not nearly as accurate but getting better each day. Just wanted to give some encouragement to the ones that maybe are just starting this journey with there DD it is a marathon not a sprint. Nothing like that smile on her face when she she throws one and you don't even have to move the glove.

Jan 22, 2011
Enjoy the journey and take tons of video and pictures. My DD was a pretty good pitcher from 7 years old to the end of fall ball when she was first year 14u. She is still mad at me when as the HC of the 8u All-Star team when she was 7 I only let her pitch two innings of a friendly when she said I promised her two innings in a real game. She objectively was the 2nd best pitcher as a 7 year old on that team, but I felt it was time to get the 8 year old circle time to be ready for 10u.

There are lots of good resources on pitching here, as well as a few folks like me who can point you in the direction of good exterior pitching resources. Post your questions.

One wise piece of advice given by @sluggers. When they start going through puberty their bodies will change and they'll need to learn how to pitch all over again. Keep the game fun and grow the love of the game before they hit puberty.

Aug 9, 2021
She should have 5 different pitches by now and hitting mid 50s consistently. j/k

I remember when DD started in rec ball at age 10 and volunteered to be a pitcher. I was happy if the ball rolled on the ground anywhere near the plate. Fast forward a few years and she just finished her first year of HS and received all region honors. Like others said, enjoy the ride, it goes by fast!

May 13, 2021
Not really anywhere I would rather be than sitting on a bucket or watching her play. As long as it lasts I will be on a bucket whenever she wants. Was going to try and teach her how to pitch myself at least the basics, so I watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch on here and tried to teach myself. After about a month of that I told my wife we gonna have to find a coach if she wants to do this.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My daughter started travel early (8U) and pitching at 9U. I made good friends with a guy who had an older daughter so he had been through all travel ball has to offer already. My daughter took up pitching at 9U and is still playing 16U as a pitcher, hoping to get recruited this summer. Anyway, early on my friend told me it's like having a baby, give it 9 months before you will see any results. From there it always seemed to be two steps forward, one step back. As soon as she can throw strikes consistently the batters will be better and you'll be hoping for more pitches that are borderline strikes. It's a long (and sometimes frustrating) road. Enjoy the accomplishments and have your daughter keep a very short memory.

Educate yourself about pitching and techniques (it's really more art than science). Don't be afraid to try multiple pitching coaches and pitching forms, just keep with whatever works. Lastly, enjoy the journey. It goes by in the blink of an eye.

Jan 22, 2011
Video as much as possible so fun to watch later
Yup. I recently found some video I on google photos from 2nd year 10u that apparently google backed up for me. I thought I had lost it.

Enjoying watching it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802