International Tie-Breaker Offensive Strategies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I started a thread about Defensive strategies in International Tie-Breaker situations. I would now like to switch gears and ask what Offensive Strategies do you propose in a tie game, 3-3 score. Already below some different approaches to the game are being offered, such as low scoring or high scoring games. I think this is perfect and very welcome differentiation:

Visitors?
Home?
Home Team, behind in the score (for arguments sake, 1 run)?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What is the score? If the game is 8-8 my answer is likely to be very different than if the game is 1-1.

Though assuming this is a low scoring game.

Visitor, play for one run with bunt, put presure on defense to make a play.

Home tied, see vistitor above.

Home behind by 1, take 3 shots at driving run in with base hit.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
These are great for the ages 14 and up, but don't know it they are quite practical for 12 and down. But keep them coming!:cool:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
visitors-bunt over, play for 1 unless 1st-4th batter leading off and the pitcher hasn't been overly dominant then take 3 shots at scoring with good chance for more than one run.

home (tied)-bunt over, score any way possible regardless of batter up (i.e. hit, squeeze, fake bunt/hoping for passed ball)

home (down 1)-bunt over, score any way possible unless leading off with 3rd/4th batter. I let 3/4 hit because they're usually among my 3 top hitters. 5th is usually the 4th best. I'll take 3 shots with 3/4/5 or 4/5/6. If I were to burn an out with the bunt, I lose my best hitter at the time and if we score one to tie then get out, the next inning would usually bring up 7/8/9. My goal would be to turn the order if I can't score more than one so giving up an out would not be my first choice.

Bunts should be to the left half of the field as 1B would have quickest throw to 3B. In all cases I may consider slashing instead of bunting for lower half of the order. Defense usually heavily anticipating bunt creating openings around the infield. With runner on 3B emphasize that batter get ball out of infield or at least to right side potentially weaker arms and usually not as sharply hit so takes longer to get to fielder. With speed on 3B consider going even on infield grounder w/infield moderately in to force them to make a play.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
What is the score? If the game is 8-8 my answer is likely to be very different than if the game is 1-1.

Though assuming this is a low scoring game.

Visitor, play for one run with bunt, put presure on defense to make a play.

Home tied, see vistitor above.

Home behind by 1, take 3 shots at driving run in with base hit.

Yep, that is an obvious omission on my part Lou, so I will go back up and revise my game situations above. Good thinking!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
I have thought a lot about this and here is what I do now. Not what I would possibly do, but what I actually do.
Visitor: I want that 1 run. A 3-3 game does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling that we can open up a big rally. Bunt the runner over to 3rd and take your chances with 1 out. Next batter gives you options, maybe a squeeze. Otherwise swing away. Any hit to the right side (infield) the runner has to go!

Home tied: I still believe the odds are in your favor by bunting the runner to 3rd and working it from there. Even if you are down by 1 run, my philosophy is the same. I want just that 1 run. If the defense gives you more or your bats come alive, obviously take all you can get. After that 1 run, I tend to be more aggressive and take bigger chances.

Of course if you are home and down by 2 or more runs, save the out and do not sac your runner to 3rd base. Depending on the batter & runner you better pull something else out of your hat!

I am normally too aggressive on the bases, I think. I've made some bonehead decisions that haunt me to this day. However, in ITB, you are on your last 3 outs to score & my conservative side kicks in.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I am of the school that you should always bunt the runner to third. Even if your big hitters are up. In order to score from second, it requires a solid base hit. With one out and a runner on third, you have many more ways to score...sac fly, passed ball, infield hit, infield error, squeeze, etc.

Also a good reason to work on bunting with your ENTIRE lineup. No matter where you are in the batting order, that player should be able to get a successful bunt down to advance that runner.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Not trying to argue, just adding my reasoning. I get why we bunt to move the runner up. There are an amazing number of ways to score from 3B as you pointed out. I assume my 3/4 batters are my best hitters meaning they put the ball in play most consistently and the hardest. Having them bunt makes me think I'm giving up my best shot. If she puts the ball on the right side, we move over like a bunt. I may luck out and move the runner up on on a grounder to the left side. If everyone is in anticipating bunt, a solid grounder has a good chance to be bobbled or go through. From 2B I can tag up on a fly to RF. Even a hit that doesn't score a run gets me 1st and 3rd with no outs. Chance for a big inning. Sure if she pops up I'm in worse shape, but then again I've seen botched bunts as well (I concur that bunting should be practiced for everyone).

I should've pointed out I tend to be a bit on the aggressive side but I personally don't like the idea of taking the bat out of the hands of my best hitter AND give up an out.

Jun 22, 2008
Ajay will know exactly who I am speaking of. My daughter played for a coach who just loved his power hitters and would never consider the remote possibility of ever having them bunt. I watched on numerous occasions where in tie breaker situations he would have them swinging for the fence rather than put down a bunt, and on every occasion I can remember it backfired on him. Far more opportunities occur to score from 3rd than from 2nd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06