International Tie-breaker, Nuances In Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Ok I'll venture the home team and the 10% difference comes from the confidence the players get and the more concrete strategy that the coach can employ to get the 1 or 2 runs needed.

What is this Kamikaze tie breaker? 1 pitch swing bases loaded?

Feb 3, 2011
I'm not qualified to answer any of the questions posed. I coach 10u and our team does well in extra innings because the bottom of our lineup is generally better than the teams we've faced.

We only played one ITB last year, and we won because we chose to bring in our ace to pitch. I think they may have gotten the one run. We got back-to-back hits in the home half to win the game.

Two of the extra inning contests were fun. We were the visitor in both cases and on those occasions, our team just decided they were done playing around and elected to swing their bats. I considered us a good offensive team throughout the year, but we generally scored in bunches. For whatever reason, this group of girls I finished up with in 2011 loved being the visiting team and if you look at our scoring totals, we averaged a ridiculous number of runs as visitors, but not so much as home team.

Based on our performance over the season, we'd have the advantage as the visiting team in any ITB scenario. We'll see whether that holds true in 2012.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok I'll venture the home team and the 10% difference comes from the confidence the players get and the more concrete strategy that the coach can employ to get the 1 or 2 runs needed.

What is this Kamikaze tie breaker? 1 pitch swing bases loaded?

Last batted out, is runner on 3rd, 2 outs to begin inning. Takes the bunt out of the equation. Gotta get a hit to score and makes for a fast inning.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm no expert, but I'll take a gander on this one. I feel defense wins championships. In my opinion, (at the level I coach) I feel the visiting team has an advantage because they can learn from any mistakes the home team makes in the field. Also, I'm not sure how many offensive strategies there are for this situation and the home team may not want to copy what the visiting team does on offense, knowing they showed the visting team how to defend it.

Part of your answer here is getting hot! hen, and I think it was Quincy, and you are sort of dancing on the lip of the pool, but you haven't made the splash yet.

Let me give you a standard equation and let you go from there. A little hint!

BOTH TEAMS START OUT WITH A RUNNER ON 2ND BASE, AND BOTH TEAMS ON OFFENSE TYPICALLY BUNT. SOME ON DEFENSE MAY WALK THE FIRST BATTER TO CREATE A FORCE OUT AT 3B. YOU WOULD PUT RUNNERS ON 1ST AND 2ND BASES.
Who should be more concerned with this typical strategy? That is your hint!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
BOTH TEAMS START OUT WITH A RUNNER ON 2ND BASE, AND BOTH TEAMS TYPICALLY BUNT TO CREATE A FORCE OUT AT 3B.
Who should be more concerned? That is your hint!

I am assuming you mean that both teams intentionally walk to create a force at third. IMO I think the visitor is in the drivers seat. They will always know what defensive strategy is required to win or extend the game. If they don't score in the top of the inning, the entire defensive strategy is preventing 1 run, if they score two or more then you don't intentionally walk the first batter and can ignore the lead runner. The home team only gets surety on what there offensive stategy should be. IMO it's easier to implement and execute defensive strategy than offensive so that is why the visitor has the advantage.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I am assuming you mean that both teams intentionally walk to create a force at third. IMO I think the visitor is in the drivers seat. They will always know what defensive strategy is required to win or extend the game. If they don't score in the top of the inning, the entire defensive strategy is preventing 1 run, if they score two or more then you don't intentionally walk the first batter and can ignore the lead runner. The home team only gets surety on what there offensive stategy should be. IMO it's easier to implement and execute defensive strategy than offensive so that is why the visitor has the advantage.

DING, DING, DING, DING! Way to go SnocatzDad!
"IMO I think the visitor is in the drivers seat."
If the home team walks the first batter in the top of the inning, they are in fact putting a second runner on base which could be bunted, or hit into scoring position. Now with one out, if sacrificed over, the Visitors have two chances remaining to score two runs put on base by the ITB rule, and the Home Team. In contrast, the Visitors if behind, are only defensing one run. The runner on 2B represents the winning run, and no other runners matter. They can walk and defense against that one run. If they walk the bases loaded, still, only that lead runner matters. So their defensive strategies are defined. The Home Team has to worry about the runner on 2B, plus any other runners which reach base. Even if the Visitors only score 1 run, they have the psychological edge with the lead.

Now I am curious if anyone can guess what the Australian coach and the Russian coach did that blew their games in the semis? Both were the Visiting Teams in their games. And to eliminate one option, they both walked the first batter! Neither team scored in the top of the inning, so their scores were still tied 2-2, and 1-1. These coaches are now on Defense.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm guessing that a runner was walkied to set up the force at 3rd and then the runners advanced on a successful bunt, thus leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Using the same logic, they should then walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home (and/or possible double play scenario).

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm guessing that a runner was walkied to set up the force at 3rd and then the runners advanced on a successful bunt, thus leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Using the same logic, they should then walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home (and/or possible double play scenario).

I guess that would be one strategy but I think I'd go after the first batter. If I get her w/o the runner advancing to 3rd I can play the rest of the inning straight up with a runner on 2nd and 1 out. If she gets down a good bunt to gets the runner to 3rd I can then walk the next 2 batters to setup the force at home.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I guess that would be one strategy but I think I'd go after the first batter. If I get her w/o the runner advancing to 3rd I can play the rest of the inning straight up with a runner on 2nd and 1 out. If she gets down a good bunt to gets the runner to 3rd I can then walk the next 2 batters to setup the force at home.

This is what we do. I think getting the first out ( if possible ) sets a mental advantage. If it doesn't work then set up the force.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan