interference was his call...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
It's pretty sad when a coach and team comes prepared to play at a high level, and they are criticized because the other team is either unprepared, less talented, signed up for the wrong level of tournament, or all of the above. If you have a 16-0 lead on my team, it should never ever be your fault for scoring so many runs on us. I would have to look at myself, my coaching staff, and my players and figure out what we can do better to be a competitive team. Please don't take pity on my team, mercy us and hopefully we can learn from the experience.

Everyone has their own standards. I probably should not have criticized so quickly. We play at the highest level high school (large school) area in SC. A case in point from the high school season.

First game of the season, we played probably the worst team in the state. We ended up winning 42-0. Yeah, we started advancing only a base at a time, but the coach wanted the team to get batting practice so early in the season. Did not let up the bats, stayed on the gas, and subbed the whole team.

Second game later in the season. We won 20-0, as our team started stepping off the bag. We were in a groove for the season, and no need to make enemies.

Sounds like you evaluated your circumstances to your best. If you think it is best for your team to step on the gas, go ahead, you should be expected to. Other times, other circumstance, it may be best to shown respect, perhaps pity, for an overmatched opponent.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2012
I have not nice things to say, so I wont say them..

I'm not a fan of giving a team outs by stepping off, etc. that's shameful for them. Hit the ball, take singles, etc. Score should not effect the calls in the game, just my opinion.

Jun 22, 2008

I'm not a fan of giving a team outs by stepping off, etc. that's shameful for them. Hit the ball, take singles, etc. Score should not effect the calls in the game, just my opinion.

Shamefull for them? Any less shamefull to get pummelled 30, 40 50 to zip? I have umpired plenty of games where the losing team was so overmatched they would never have gotten an out if the other team was not purposely doing things to give up outs. Daughters HS team played a game where half way through the first inning the coach turned all the batters around and had them batting opposite side. He also brought up the JV pitcher to pitch the game and left all his starters on the bench. No hit was ever taken for more than a single and the other team still could not get an out. The score was still 32-0 and if my daughters coach hadnt had the girls purposely stepping off the score would have easily been 100 or more.

Who is learning anything in those types of games? The losing team is nothing but frustrated because they can do nothing right and the winning team is learning absolutely nothing because it obviously is nowhere near a real world game.

Jul 9, 2009
IL

If you're the team getting pummeled, it's not your decision how the pummeler decides how the stop the carnage. Why would a coach getting his butt kicked think he/she can dictate how his/her opponent should play? You get what you get and live with it.

Jun 22, 2008
So, your JV team / pitcher overmatches their starters? k

What do you find so hard to believe? Some high school varsity teams would be hard pressed to compete against the freshman teams of better schools. You take a school who went on to win the state championship and put them up against a team with extremely poor coaching and almost no player development and yes, the JV pitcher was even an overmatch for them.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Who is learning anything in those types of games? The losing team is nothing but frustrated because they can do nothing right and the winning team is learning absolutely nothing because it obviously is nowhere near a real world game.

Nobody, which is why games like this should never take place in a competitive environment.

If there was a shred of decency (okay, talking about stretching things) between the coaches, when it gets that out of hand, they should just stop the game. If the coaches agree (and here is where the decency comes into play) and the umpire should be made aware of before hand, the event should move to a scrimmage format so both teams get the opportunity to take part and learn and even teach.

I HAVE seen this before and unless you have one helluva stuck-up team (often reflecting coaches and parents) I think it is a great experience. I've seen the girls from the dominant team help some of the fielders and a pitcher give the other team's thrower some tips.

Forcing inexperienced teams or teams that just don't have any players into the slaughter just isn't what HS ball is supposed to be.

JMHO

Oct 24, 2012
What do you find so hard to believe? Some high school varsity teams would be hard pressed to compete against the freshman teams of better schools. You take a school who went on to win the state championship and put them up against a team with extremely poor coaching and almost no player development and yes, the JV pitcher was even an overmatch for them.

Then why not stop at one run or just give them a 15 run head start?
Winning 1-0 is the same if they're so overmatched.

I'm just not a fan of saying, "here other team, we know you're terrible - he's a freebie"

Jun 22, 2008
And how exactly is giving them a 15 run head start any different than stepping off a base and giving them outs?

Jun 24, 2013
I agree with the "what do you learn by continuing the pummeling?" crowd. When we get up that big we go to practicing bunts, slapping, etc. When it is clear that you are overmatched, why not try to help the other team and girls get more experience? If you really are that good then you should be able to step back on the gas if it suddenly became a contest. Why the fear of letting the other team getting up to bat? I use these type of games to give my girls experience at other positions. In the end it is a game.
Sure they all paid the same entry fee, but there is no verification of class that I have ever seen. Pool play is supposed to help level this out somewhat, unless the tourney just lumps everyone together in the same bracket come elimination time. I have seen some coaches register for a lower classification tourney just so they could fill their trophy case and make their parents happy that they are a "winning" organization rather than an organization that helps build the girls abilities.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz