interference was his call...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We have bases loaded with two outs, we are up big in the 2nd inning 16-0 when my batter hits the ball right towards the ss, my girl on 2nd avoids getting hit by the bouncing ball while heading to 3 by simply hurdling over the ball... then the blue yells time and calls my runner out. I'm instantly assuming he thinks the ball hit her. Nope he said that by jumping over the batted ball my runner interfered with the defences ability to field the ball, and she should have paused to allow the ball to pass.?!?!? What do you guys think? This was a first for me.

Jul 2, 2013
When UP 16-0, outs against the team winning become easy to come by.

And you probably argued with the umpire, now posting on a message board.

My question is, when did your team begin to stop stealing, taking extra bases, and going just base to base, may I ask?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have bases loaded with two outs, we are up big in the 2nd inning 16-0 when my batter hits the ball right towards the ss, my girl on 2nd avoids getting hit by the bouncing ball while heading to 3 by simply hurdling over the ball... then the blue yells time and calls my runner out. I'm instantly assuming he thinks the ball hit her. Nope he said that by jumping over the batted ball my runner interfered with the defences ability to field the ball, and she should have paused to allow the ball to pass.?!?!? What do you guys think? This was a first for me.

Judgement call. Was it right? Hard to tell without being there but there is a definite chance he was influenced by you being up so much in the 2nd and was looking for a way to give the other team an out and a way out of the inning.

And you should be stepping off bases up 16-0 during the second. There really shouldn't be a runner on second.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Don't judge me... we were hitting the meatballs they were pitching. Balls driven to the fence were held up as singles and I didn't steal a single base after we went up 5-0 in the first and I saw what were up against. Its pool play and the runs scored determines seeding. All I was asking for was clarification on the call and not your assumptions about me as a coach.

Jul 2, 2013
The clarification is the umpire wanted to get your offense OFF the field, and in his JUDGEMENT the runner interfered with the fielder.

Had the game been tighter, his JUDGEMENT may have been different. Umpires are funny that way.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Don't judge me... we were hitting the meatballs they were pitching. Balls driven to the fence were held up as singles and I didn't steal a single base after we went up 5-0 in the first and I saw what were up against. Its pool play and the runs scored determines seeding. All I was asking for was clarification on the call and not your assumptions about me as a coach.

Which is why USSSA has gone solely to Runs Against and ignores Runs For totally - one of the things they have got right. And as long as I don't get the 8am game I never have cared all that much about seeding.

What SCDad said - judgement call but could well be influenced by the score. There doesn't need to be contact (with ball or player) for there to be interference.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The field is over an hour away and by getting a 1 or 2 seed we get a first round bye and a 12:00 game time on sun. This was an ASA tourney and seeding was based solely on runs scored. My total for the day was 25 scored and 3 given up... We still ended up with the #2 seed.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It is a judgment call. I have had that call made against my team when we were losing. I asked for clarification, they gave it to me, and we moved on. Had I been up 16-nil, I hope I would not have set foot out of the dugout.

Jun 22, 2008
Simply jumping over the ball is not in itself interference. It is perfectly legal to jump over it as long as they give the fielder room to field the ball. But kind of ththinking as others have stated the umpire may have just been looking for any way to get outs.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

If the runner did not hesitate or obviously time her jump to coincide with the ball approaching the fielder, that should not be INT. And remember, it is what and how the umpire sees it, not you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz