Interesting conversation with PC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
I love the response from the pitching instructor...she teaches elbow to the catcher for younger students as it helps with balance etc...So I guess it isn't as important for older pitchers that have better balance. LOL. From some of the instructors I have spoken with they just brush me off as someone who has never pitched and have that irritated look when I ask questions. Unfortunately, in my experience, these folks don't really know why they are teaching what they are teaching so the tendency is defensiveness and they just tend to dismiss any questions.

Here ya go. It's pretty tame. I'm a little surprised because around here HE seems very popular, and people on that board have short fuses sometimes.

GeorgiaCoachesCorner.com • View topic - Whip/forearm fire vs "hello Elbow" pitching

Mar 18, 2013
MN
From some of the instructors I have spoken with they just brush me off as someone who has never pitched and have that irritated look when I ask questions. Unfortunately, in my experience, these folks don't really know why they are teaching what they are teaching so the tendency is defensiveness and they just tend to dismiss any questions.
sounds familiar! I can tell just by the facial expressions of coaches, floating pitching instructors (aka former college pitchers who have deemed themselves pitching coaches), and even some clueless parents that when I try to chime in or ask legit questions that most think I am just a dumb mom. It was so incredibly refreshing to be in the company of the coaches and DFP parents at the Pauly clinic this past weekend. I mostly keep to myself and relish in the fact that what I know and am passing on to my dd is still a secret that no one knows or really cares to know in our community. Their loss:)

Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
LOL...I wish I could have been there. Up in Canada, it seems that every former college pitcher is a pitching coach at that is really all we have.

sounds familiar! I can tell just by the facial expressions of coaches, floating pitching instructors (aka former college pitchers who have deemed themselves pitching coaches), and even some clueless parents that when I try to chime in or ask legit questions that most think I am just a dumb mom. It was so incredibly refreshing to be in the company of the coaches and DFP parents at the Pauly clinic this past weekend. I mostly keep to myself and relish in the fact that what I know and am passing on to my dd is still a secret that no one knows or really cares to know in our community. Their loss:)

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal

Amen sister!!!!! DD's best friend is a pitcher. She started 6 months before my DD. Pitches H/E with a severe crow hop. Parents ask me all the time what I think would help her but they don't listen. I've offered to help but told them they needed to let go of the college pitcher who thinks herself a PC because she's H/E and can't explain why. What's that saying about a horse and water - you can't drown him or something. LOL
What I saw this weekend, your DD is a beast! I mean that in the most fierce and respectful pitching way. You know what you are doing.

In our league, there are about 7 legit pitchers, DD being one of them. She's the most "disliked" of them all. Why? Because they've all been pitching longer and she's caught up with them. Nothing like an underdog! When she's on....she can move the ball. (When she's on) Most of them have good speed but pretty much straight pitches and all but one are H/E.
I don't preach to anyone. If they ask I'll educate. I don't ever need to defend how DD pitches.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks 1bucket! I wish I could've had the chance to meet and spend more time with you and Mothgirl! Just not enough hours! I think as women/moms we feel we need to defend/prove ourselves more in the softball arena. I've resigned myself to the fact that the only person I care that listens to me is my dd. I actually covet the "secret" of IR, Brush, Palm to 12 etc. as I know if I tried to verbalize this info to surrounding coaches, they may commit me to the nearest psych ward.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Mothgirl's DD is also a beast! She rocked the RedCord! I love the way these young ladies "own" their pitching. You can see it in how they carry themselves. My DD is on the young side but already asserting herself. It was such an experience for her too see that in pitchers - strength and presence. While I can wait for puberty....I cant wait for her to become stronger and have more body awareness.

We moms are a special breed.

Jun 12, 2015
I love the response from the pitching instructor...she teaches elbow to the catcher for younger students as it helps with balance etc...So I guess it isn't as important for older pitchers that have better balance. LOL. From some of the instructors I have spoken with they just brush me off as someone who has never pitched and have that irritated look when I ask questions. Unfortunately, in my experience, these folks don't really know why they are teaching what they are teaching so the tendency is defensiveness and they just tend to dismiss any questions.

Totally agree. Actually that's another reason I'm surprised it's stayed tame. She is big-time around here & someone disagreed with her. Though actually I posted first then she disagreed with me, perhaps that's not as upsetting to people ;) Funny too that she says she's never seen a PC use those terms. Jennie Finch and her dad sure do. I've never pitched either, never even played. That's why my dd goes to a pitching coach. But I can read and use my brain, which is why she goes to one who teaches I/R. It is possible to have knowledge about something without having experience. It's also possible to have experience and not much knowledge. The combo is ideal.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I am at a total loss to those that cannot relate to "throwing" and iR, and to "pushing" and HE. like the coach in the Georgia thread. Reinforcing HE with your arm "twisted" rather than spent, and loose, is someone that has not yet "Ripened" as a coach.

I do see coaches that teach HE, ball down at nine, that "let" the players develop whip, without changing or enforcing HE, these might be coaches that are becoming "seasoned".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1