Infield Renovation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
Does anyone here do their own infield work? Have you ever had laser grading done? If so, what is the cost to get a infield laser graded? I do alot fo work with our softball diamonds. Last fall we added infield material, spread it out and had it compacted. It is fairly close, but has a few low spots. I would be interested in getting it laser graded after the summer league is over, if the cost isnt to high. Please do let me know the cost if you ever had it done.

Jul 19, 2008
Holy fudge...$4,ooo ? Thats an awful lot. I guess if the school or league has that kind of money to spend, then it can be done. I understand why it should be done every year as it gets the field to drain right, but 4 grand is a bit to steep. I dont even know of anyone around here who does it. We would just buy a good laser level and do it by hand and then have it to use whenever needed. Our diamonds are not in ideal spots, so drainage has to be a little different than how it should be.

Jul 26, 2010
Could tear the field apart and re-build it correctly so it has the right fill and drainage underneath and the right initial gradient and then you won't have to laser grade every year. It'll cost more up front but at 4k a year its worth it in the long run.

-W

Mar 15, 2010
My local rec league laser graded the infields about 4 years ago. They had never been laser graded before and were in very bad shape, high and low points throughout. It cost about $2,000 per field (5 fields, $10,000 total). This included additional infield dirt so I imagine grading alone would have cost about $1,500 per field. We signed a long term agreement with the laser grading company and as long as we grade every six months and keep the dirt in good condition we are charged $250 per field ($1,250 per six months). Definitely worth the money. The fields are graded at a 1% crowned slope which drains very well when it rains (yes we do get rain in SoCal. It rained about 6 weeks ago).

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Maybe you got the multi field discount?... or we got screwed...(more likely). My DD will be in 9th grade this year and coach has asked me to help with the field maintanance, and the price you quote does sound very reasonable. I'll have to do some more investigating. Thanks for that info.

Oct 12, 2009
Does anyone here do their own infield work? Have you ever had laser grading done? If so, what is the cost to get a infield laser graded? I do alot fo work with our softball diamonds. Last fall we added infield material, spread it out and had it compacted. It is fairly close, but has a few low spots. I would be interested in getting it laser graded after the summer league is over, if the cost isnt to high. Please do let me know the cost if you ever had it done.

You can get a sense of grade with a long hose.

Just lay it across the field at different angle and it will become obvious where the low spots are, especially if they are larger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321