Infield fly rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
I still got confuse with infield fly rule. The basic rules that I understand about it are:
-Less than 2 out
-1b or 1b and 2b loaded
-The ball flies in infield area (the diamond area?)
-The batter is out and the ball is dead.

1) Is it necessary for the umpire to declare (shout out) if infield fly happened? How about the umpire forgot to shout it out, can the fielding team manager/coach appeal for the rule?

2) I was told by an umpire that the ball must fly over the fielders' head to be considered as an infield fly ball. How about the ball hit is a linedrive ball (waist line height) and been caught by the defense team? Is it considered infield fly too where the ball is dead and the defense team can't play a double play?

Feb 24, 2010
Not entirely correct, but close. It is a judgement call by the ump as to the "infield area". If the ump thinks that an infielder could catch it (or not) then the IFR is called (or not) - it's a judgement call rather than where the ball is. Also, the batter is out, but the ball IS NOT dead - any runner can advance at the risk of being put out, whether the defender catches the ball or not. This is where many of the players (and coaches/parents) get confused. If the defender drops the ball AFTER the batter is called out the runners are NOT obligated to run, as in a forced situation. If they do they can be put out.

The ump usually shouts out "IFR, batter is out" or something to that effect. I'm not sure about forgetting, or appealing - I'll leave that for Bretman. As to the line drive height issue, again I think that's a judgement call. And again, I'll defer to Bretman

Jun 22, 2008
A line drive is not an infield fly. Again, it is ultimately umpire judgement, but the ball must fly a fair distance up to be an infield fly. And, it must also be catchable with normal effort. The intent of the rule is to protect base runners so a fielder cant act like they are going to catch the ball, holding the runners on base, then let it drop and double up the runners.

And as indicated, it is not a dead ball, the ball is live and runners may advance at their own risk.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Basics are... -Less than 2 out
-Runners on 1st and 2nd, or 1st 2nd and 3rd
-Pop up in fair territory that can (in umpires judgement) be caught with reasonable effort by an infielder. Area is not defined, but is left up to umpires judgement.
-Umpire makes the call "infield fly rule, batter is out" while the ball is in the air.
-Ball is LIVE just like any other fly ball, except runners do not have to run if ball is droped.
-Line drive is not eligable for infield fly. (double plays happen all the time on infield line drives)

As for appealing an infield fly that was not called, you can try, but I don't think the ump would/could change his mind.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let's make it even simpler.

Less than 2 outs; 1st & 2nd occupied. Forget 3rd, it is irrelevant.
A ball which rises into the air, height is irrelevant as long as it is not a line drive or bunt.
It must be a fair ball capable of being caught by an infielder with ordinary effort.

Effect: Batter-runner is out and the ball cannot be declared an intentionally dropped ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No, you can't appeal. If it's not called in the air, it hasn't happened.

That is completely wrong. The failure of an umpire to call anything does not make it go away. And missed IFR can be ruled and effect applied after a play.

Mar 13, 2010
No it can't. How do you apply an infield fly rule after the play has completed? It's like trying to call a ball fair after it's already been called foul. At best, you would have the ball called dead and the batter goes back to bat again. In which case the offensive team would be upset if everyone is on base fair.

I've seen this happen. My club's A grade team got penalised quite harshly as a result of a non called IFR. The runner on second advanced, because she was forced and got tagged out. The umpire then called the runner at first out, even though he hadn't called the IFR. At the post umpire's meeting this was ruled to be incorrect and there was quite a kefuffle about it on Facebook.

I play under ISF rules.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No it can't. How do you apply an infield fly rule after the play has completed? It's like trying to call a ball fair after it's already been called foul. At best, you would have the ball called dead and the batter goes back to bat again. In which case the offensive team would be upset if everyone is on base fair.

I've seen this happen. My club's A grade team got penalised quite harshly as a result of a non called IFR. The runner on second advanced, because she was forced and got tagged out. The umpire then called the runner at first out, even though he hadn't called the IFR. At the post umpire's meeting this was ruled to be incorrect and there was quite a kefuffle about it on Facebook.

I play under ISF rules.

Yes, you can and it is not difficult to rectify. You just rule the BR out and take them off the base they occupy and correct any action that placed the runners or defense in jeopardy due to the lack of a call.

And playing ISF rules doesn't make a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06