In Front or Behind the Batter???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Do you have your catchers throw to third in front or behind batter?

• Total voters
Sep 4, 2009
if the hitter is up in the box you would throw behind the hitter...
if the hitter is in a normal middle of the road position - if the pitch is outside you would throw in front, if inside you would throw behind - to do any of these you must use proper footwork -
i'm an old baseball guy but they tell me catching is catching - so get a good catching video - in baseball there are two i'd recommend - Tommy McDonald/Miss. St - now head coach of Murray St has the ultimate catching video and Tom Griffin of Carson Newman has a good dvd as well
It is true that the pitch location should be the primary factor in determining front or back....Both should be practiced because moving in front is a more direct route if the pitch location allows (for a RH catcher)....Also, provides a better angle for pickoffs....Another thing that is more of a factor in softball than baseball is the aggressive physical nature of the move to clear a throwing lane in front......By the way, due to the short game I think the LH catcher may have an overall advantage in softball......As a former catcher AND a Grandpa, I know that one of the main reasons that catchers were ALWAYS right handed is because the team furnished the glove.

May 5, 2008
I agree with BBRB that both should be practiced. One will probably be used more than the other, but I like having options should the situation present itself that another method can be used. Catchers can also use the glove had to clear the lane when going behind as well.

On lefty catchers - love 'em! Many think they have a disadvantage, but I've know many lefty softball catchers that have done quite well.

At what point does "batter interference" come into play?
I've seen catchers throw into the batter. i've seen Umpires make different calls too (would'nt it be great if all umps knew all the rukes and actually knew how/what to call??!!)
I think ideally a catcher will throw in front of the batter...

Nov 1, 2009
As long as the batter is in the box it is very unlikely the umpire will bail out the catcher for making a bad move. It seems the only time a catcher would consider throwing behind or in front of a hitter is on a steal to third and I think as a coach you should practice each and time the play. Either way you will need to take at least one, maybe two steps to clear the batter which going to third shouldn't kill your chances of getting an out. You also need to consider who is covering the play. Maybe stepping in front to throw to a shortstop covering makes sense while throwing behind the hitter if the third baseman is covering. One solution may not exist for this situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy