In Front or Behind the Batter???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Do you have your catchers throw to third in front or behind batter?

• Total voters
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As a catching instructor, one of the biggest issues I find with catchers is when their H/S or competitive team coach provides instruction that may differ from what we are working with them on. (I know this is occurs in other positions/skills as well as catching) One of the biggest differences of opinion I see with catchers is where you do have your catcher set up when throwing to third... Ahead of the batter? Or behind the batter? I am curious to what instruction is being given to catchers and would appreciate your input.

Thanks! -Chaz

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Depends on where the catcher receives the pitch and where the batter is (up in the box, back). I do teach catchers to clear their throwing lane by using the glove hand.

Jan 20, 2010
I thought the reason most catchers "had to be" right handed was so that they could throw down to third more easily from in front of the batter.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Not so Andy.... the leftys have their advantage on throwdowns to 1B- in fact the leftys dont usually have a batter in the LH box to work around on the throw to first, & they can throw behind the batter to 3B. I will probably get crucified for this, but for my money the lefty catcher has the edge.

Sep 3, 2009
I thought the reason most catchers "had to be" right handed was so that they could throw down to third more easily from in front of the batter.

That makes sense sure, but more runners are running for 1st, than get to run for 3rd. The southpaw can get the ball to 1st with less wasted movement. Ask Chaz about his southpaw.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Depends on where the catcher receives the pitch and where the batter is (up in the box, back). I do teach catchers to clear their throwing lane by using the glove hand.

A couple of things I have observed... With the batter back in the box and the catcher moving out in front to throw, I know a lot of catchers are told to sweep the batter back (Clear the lane) as they throw. I have seen many batters that just don't move back too quickly or cooperate on this manuever. It's one more thing to do as the catcher concentrates on throwing to target.

The one constant I have found is that no matter where the batter is in the box, front or back, the catcher stays back far enough not to get hit by the bat during the batter's swing. This means they are far enough back to clear the batter on the throw to third. Going behind the batter also utilizes the batter's body to breifly hide the catcher's initial movements to throw to third, giving the runner less time to react.

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois

Rookie FP coach trying to learn how to teach the catchers better. What exactly do you mean by this? Is it just as it sounds...you use the glove hand to move the batter out of the way slightly?

Feb 4, 2010
Rookie FP coach trying to learn how to teach the catchers better. What exactly do you mean by this? Is it just as it sounds...you use the glove hand to move the batter out of the way slightly?

if the hitter is up in the box you would throw behind the hitter...
if the hitter is in a normal middle of the road position - if the pitch is outside you would throw in front, if inside you would throw behind - to do any of these you must use proper footwork -
i'm an old baseball guy but they tell me catching is catching - so get a good catching video - in baseball there are two i'd recommend - Tommy McDonald/Miss. St - now head coach of Murray St has the ultimate catching video and Tom Griffin of Carson Newman has a good dvd as well

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois
if the hitter is up in the box you would throw behind the hitter...
if the hitter is in a normal middle of the road position - if the pitch is outside you would throw in front, if inside you would throw behind - to do any of these you must use proper footwork -
i'm an old baseball guy but they tell me catching is catching - so get a good catching video - in baseball there are two i'd recommend - Tommy McDonald/Miss. St - now head coach of Murray St has the ultimate catching video and Tom Griffin of Carson Newman has a good dvd as well

Thanks for the info, but I was actually referring to the comment about clearing their throwing lane by using the glove hand.

Nov 1, 2009
I would agree with Chaz. It doesn't matter where the batter stands in the box the catcher still needs to be behind them so they don't get hit in the head with a bat. Slide behind and throw, if the batter makes contact when go behind you may get a call, but no batter is obliged to let you go in front. You might want to discuss where your defender should set up to receive the throw from the catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA