Improving reflexes on third base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2010
I am a 16u softball player that wants to improve reflexes on third base. I love third and i have no fear of the ball but at times i can react slowly to the ball or freeze up for a second or two. I have fairly good reflexes in general but i would greatly appreciate it if anyone knew some drills that would help me optimize them.

and if anyone knows any tips or drills for playing 1st base it would be greatly appreciated. I have very little experience on 1st but during our last two tournaments i was asked to play there and i would really like to do anything i can to get better. Thanks

also- I'm a big believer in mental imagery and a positive mind set (Mental Keys to Hitting by H.A. Dorfman) so if there is anything i can do to become mentally prepared i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
but at times i can react slowly to the ball or freeze up for a second or two

(A) You are losing focus during the game. "Focus" is also referred to as "mental toughness" or "mental discipline". You have to bring your mind (by mind, I mean the combination of your body and brain) into the moment on each pitch. "Into the moment" means that for that second that the pitch is thrown and the batter swings, the only thing that is in your mind is "now".

The way you do this is to let your mind wander between pitches and do something else (wave at your teammates, say "let's go", whatever), but when the pitcher starts the windup, you narrow your focus to the batter generally, and then when the ball leaves the pitcher, then to the "hitting area" around the plate.

You need to start forcing yourself to do this on every pitch. Make it a game. On how many pitches did you maintain focus? How many times were other thoughts in your head when the pitch was made?

(B) The other thing to do is to work on seeing the ball come off the bat. You need to take additional ground balls, but have the batter stand facing the pitcher like he/she was actually batting and then hit you balls. You'll notice that the batter has to hit differently in order to hit the ball to you. Watch the movement of the hitter and the movement of the bat. Do this for both a right handed batter and a leftie.

(C) *ALWAY* know what you are going to do with the ball when you get it. Suppose there is a runner at 3B and one out. So, you would think before each pitch, "There is ONE out. If I get the ball, I have to look the runner back. If she takes off for home, I go home. If I don't have a play at home, I go to 1B." You actually THINK this. Yes, this is *VERY* difficult to do consistently, pitch and pitch.

Mar 13, 2010
I would also recommend having someone hitting tennis balls at you from very close (two to three feet away) It gets your reflex's quicker, but if you miss you don't get hurt. They'll come at you a lot harder than a softball too.

For 1st base, as a person who played 1st all through their teenage years, 1st and 3rd are very similar fielding wise. You need to do the sprint on the bunt, ready for slaps and so on. You do need to learn how to stand on the base though, which is very different from any other base. How I was always taught was one foot on either side of the white base. Only when I knew where the ball was coming from would one foot go back and I would then stretch for the ball.

The MOST important thing you can do to learn first, is learn the splits. I can't do them consciously, but if I need to get that ball I'll do the splits. Lots and lots of stretching. You need to have the safest glove on the team to play first.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
We like to use one of those Lite Flight machines with the foamy balls to work on reflexes. Lower the machine to thigh high and loosen the swivel joints so that the feeder (coach) can vary the direction of the ball. Then we start rapid firing these lite flight balls at the infielders starting about 15' away as the fielder slowly moves in closer until it's impossible to react fast enough. It hurts much less than a tennis ball if you happen to get thwacked in the shoulder.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Similar trend here. I use batting cage balls, the dimple foam balls and hit short hoppers from 20 feetish away. DD doesn't like getting one in the shin, but doesn't fall into a sobbing, wimpering heap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321