Illegal Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm relatively new to girl pitch softball (DD in 8U), but could someone please educate me on why I see so many girls at all levels continually make illegal pitches (i.e. right foot comes up in the air off of the pitcher plate before girl releases the ball, hopping, etc.). It's my understanding that the "drive foot" has to start on the plate and can only move along the ground. Maybe some softball santioning bodies allow this? Thanks.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
This may sound a little soap boxish but, alot of pitchers get away with illegal pitching because the Umpires, either don't see it, don't want to see it or don't know the true definition of an Illegel pitch. When we mention to the umps that the pitcher is doing something wrong and we question their umipring skills, 99% of the time they do nothing because we questioned them. Is this right, no, what can we do to fix it, we can teach our dd's and pitchers, we're responsible for, the correct mechanics to not have to worry about it on our side of the fence. Don't get me wrong there are alot of umpires out there that are really good, but on occassion there are a few that slip through the cracks. I may have just opened up a can of worms with this post, so I apologize to anyone that I may offend, or have offended.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
96coach, totally agree with your comments. We should be teaching our young DD's and pitchers how to play the game within the confines of the rules. If there are two blues, there is no excuse for not calling illegal pitches on P's not using proper mechanics on the pitching mound. Isn't that why we have umps in the first place, to enforce the rules? If they diligently enforced this rule, every PC and coach in the US would not tolerate their P's who abuse this rule. Does youth baseball get this free pass?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I'm relatively new to girl pitch softball (DD in 8U), but could someone please educate me on why I see so many girls at all levels continually make illegal pitches (i.e. right foot comes up in the air off of the pitcher plate before girl releases the ball, hopping, etc.). It's my understanding that the "drive foot" has to start on the plate and can only move along the ground. Maybe some softball santioning bodies allow this? Thanks.

None of them do, according to their rule books.

The sad part is that those national rulebooks are only guide books for local leagues and tournaments. The tournament directors are free to add or omit any rule/s they want to for their leagues and tournaments.

Then, when a pitcher gets to a qualifying or national tournamet, they find out that what they have been getting away with all season, IS NOT ALLOWED and they get an IP every other pitch.

There are still lots of instructors out there teaching them to cheat. They get away withit because the locals dont enforce it.

Dont blame the national organizations and their rule books, it's not them.

It's the local yokals.

Hal

Aug 8, 2008
Totally agree with all above.

But, don't know about where you play, round here we play on many less than pristine fields. Some fields have rubbers sticking out of the ground so high they look like speed bumps. Almost every field ends up looking like someone dug an irrigation ditch in front of the rubber. A little latitude under these conditions is understandable.

Call the obvious crow hops and step backs, teach proper mechanics, but give the pitcher a little wiggle room under less than ideal conditions.

It's hard to maintain contact with the ground when you are pitching off a cliff. LOL

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
many coaches I've talked to during games, TELL me they TEACH to cheat when Blues aren't looking. Good frined of mine does also, she is a GREAT coach, but I can't do that. (( 1B blocking the base on throwdowns from the catcher and until Blue calls it, they intentionally OBSTRUCT.; Pitchers that are taught to LEAP; Pitchers taught to step off the rubber THEN deliver the pitch, runners told to leave a base early when Blues aren't looking......)
******* I shouldn't even get STARTED with THIS conversation again! I don't teach to cheat, don't allow it on MY team because I feel if you teach ANYONE it is ok to cheat in sports, then why shouldn't they cheat in school when a teacher is not looking and in their jobs and when shopping or numerous other opportunities??? THAT'S what you want your players remembering you for? they won't forget! I want mine to remember we work harder then anyone else, do things right, win with class, lose with class and above the sport, care and treat everyone the way we want ourselves and own family treated!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
The umpires enforce the "spirit" of the rules.

I.e. if a pitcher is obviously leaping, crowhopping, etc to an extent that it gives one team/pitcher an advantage, they will call it. If not, they wont bother. Chances are good that both pitchers are doing the same thing.

The issue is, if they are watching the pitchers feet all the time during the pitch, they cannot be watching whats happening elsewhere, which is much more important. You also cannot selectively call those infractions, call it now , but not later. Since you cannot watch for it all the time, it is just basically unenforcable unless it is a real problem.

Think of it just like speed limits on the interstate. Theres leeway, it is enforced only if excessive. It would be pointless to write millions of tickets for 1mp over the limit.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
yup, and I tell our players NOT to worry about what their pitcher is doing, just focus on the ball once it comes down to the hip.. try and recognize spin, not worry about her foot.
-- I DO alert Blues to pitchers that STEP forward OFF the rubber, BEFORE her pitch (ticks me off, because THAT is OBVIOUSLY TAUGHT), or brings her hands together after she separates them, but I don't concern about leaps or crow hops. I ALSO point out to Blues about 1B BLOCKING the base with her foot/leg on throwdowns (AGAIN taught) to AVOID an OUT Call against my runner BEFORE it happens and also when I see baserunners leave the base early repeatedly. (I do this on the side, NOT during play and only ask they look for it. On a pitcher, I generally ask Blues don't say anything during the inning, but if he sees it, talk to her BETWEEN innings.)

Blues won't call it every time, and some, won't bother at all, BUT I don't think thats a reason to teach it. Etiquette of the sport is lost to some degree when we lose the sportsmanship aspect.

** I know a GREAT College Div I FOOTBALL coach that TELLS you to have your D-Lineman crowd/cheat the Nuetral zone because although you'll get 1-2 penalties in the game, THAT lost 5 yards, is negated by all teh other plays you have an advantage! Referees will / CANNOT call it EVERY TIME, so he takes advantage and teaches to cheat the Nuetral Zone.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The umpires enforce the "spirit" of the rules.

I.e. if a pitcher is obviously leaping, crowhopping, etc to an extent that it gives one team/pitcher an advantage, they will call it. If not, they wont bother. Chances are good that both pitchers are doing the same thing.

The issue is, if they are watching the pitchers feet all the time during the pitch, they cannot be watching whats happening elsewhere, which is much more important. You also cannot selectively call those infractions, call it now , but not later. Since you cannot watch for it all the time, it is just basically unenforcable unless it is a real problem.

Think of it just like speed limits on the interstate. Theres leeway, it is enforced only if excessive. It would be pointless to write millions of tickets for 1mp over the limit.

OK. Here is the way it works on the local league and/or tournament level.

The tournament director has the ultimate authority, as does the league director, when it comes to what rules will and will not be applied. As I said already, they have the authority to add or delete any rule they want to the rulebooks.

They director also has the authority to assign that authority over to the Umpire-In-Chief of the league or tournament. In probably MOST of the cases, that is exactly what happens.

Now what is expected, in the event any rule IS added or omitted, is a forewarning before the league or tournament accepts the entry fees from the teams. Sadly, what usually happens is they get to the tournament and THEN they find out their pitchers will not be allowed to do whatever it is and it is something the pitcher has done all year.

May 13, 2008
Raleigh NC
solution

back em up to 46' and let em throw.....
Works fine in the men's game.

of course, we would have to think of something else to
talk about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member