Illegal Pitching in the news

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_20220307-072203_Chrome.jpg

... look forward to the responses from the folks who want the umpires to call the rule.
Here it is being called,
did it matter?
Offense even gets a chance to decide how they want the rule to be applied.

Guess the next discussion is how many illegal pitches are going to be okay before the pitcher can no longer pitch in a game
🤷‍♀️

Jul 16, 2019

a game Troy played last month.

to be honest, in my opinion, her leaping/crow hopping is much less obvious than the other player in the news. At least, in the game from last month.

I support free base for runners on base for an illegal pitch

Aug 21, 2008
Hmmm, as I read the article in this thread I am amazed it was the umpire behind the dish calling IP's. WHAT?? That's not his call. IP's are the base umpires call unless it something that happens pre-pitch: not wiping hands on pants, walking up to rubber with hands together, etc.

Believe me, I also played in an era where IP's were called in Men's Fastpitch. It was never the plate ump calling it. It's my understanding it's not his call. We'd have to get an umpire to explain. I truly didn't think plate umps were allowed to call jumping, crow hopping.

Jul 22, 2015
Hmmm, as I read the article in this thread I am amazed it was the umpire behind the dish calling IP's. WHAT?? That's not his call. IP's are the base umpires call unless it something that happens pre-pitch: not wiping hands on pants, walking up to rubber with hands together, etc.

Believe me, I also played in an era where IP's were called in Men's Fastpitch. It was never the plate ump calling it. It's my understanding it's not his call. We'd have to get an umpire to explain. I truly didn't think plate umps were allowed to call jumping, crow hopping.
Any umpire CAN call it but the base umpire is responsible for watching the feet and plate has hands. Usually pretty difficult to watch pitches and see what the feet are doing as well.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019

Bill, its been a while since i scoured the NCAA umpires manual, but last time I checked (probably 5 years ago) there was no delineation as to "who" could call what. Hope you are well.

Aug 21, 2008
Any umpire CAN call it but the base umpire is responsible for watching the feet and plate has hands. Usually pretty difficult to watch pitches and see what the feet are doing as well.
I agree, I don't see how someone behind the plate can do both: call pitches and watch for IP's. I've just never seen it done from the guy behind the plate. That sounds like a case of "over umpiring" to me, where he had to insert himself in the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00