illegal pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
no Leaping was not made legal.

USA softball rule 6A-3K:
(Women’s and JO Girls) Pushing off and dragging the pivot foot in contact with the ground or having both feet in the air is allowed.

USSSA rule changes 2022:
RULE 6 PITCHING, Sec 1.E.3, pages 34-35 Permits the pitcher to leap, and prescribes the legal requirements for leaping

Looks like leaping is illegal still in High School, and I would assume PGF (since PGF mostly follows High School rules).

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've found when an umpire does call a pitcher for illegal pitches with regularity, the girl tends to lose it quickly. It happened to Emma Lemly of VA Tech a few weeks ago when she had to be removed from the game because she couldn't adapt. That's the most common outcome when an umpire decides to call an illegal pitch.

Look, we had a discussion a few months ago about Jordy the Leaper from OU that went something like 850 comments. Illegal pitching is a rabbit hole of a discussion, so be prepared for a ton of comments, disagreements, and usual suspects chiming in about what to do about it, me included.

Let me see if I can sum it up quickly:

1) Rad will tell you to be a better hitter.
2) Pattar will make snarky comments that may or may not piss off some people. Never me. I love snark.
3) I side with the pitcher learning to pitch legally because that's how my daughter was taught to pitch.
4) Shiloh will call Jordy Skippy Part 2.
5) A few Ghosts will break during this discussion.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I've found when an umpire does call a pitcher for illegal pitches with regularity, the girl tends to lose it quickly. It happened to Emma Lemly of VA Tech a few weeks ago when she had to be removed from the game because she couldn't adapt. That's the most common outcome when an umpire decides to call an illegal pitch.

Look, we had a discussion a few months ago about Jordy the Leaper from OU that went something like 850 comments. Illegal pitching is a rabbit hole of a discussion, so be prepared for a ton of comments, disagreements, and usual suspects chiming in about what to do about it, me included.

Let me see if I can sum it up quickly:

1) Rad will tell you to be a better hitter.
2) Pattar will make snarky comments that may or may not piss off some people. Never me. I love snark.
3) I side with the pitcher learning to pitch legally because that's how my daughter was taught to pitch.
4) Shiloh will call Jordy Skippy Part 2.

Did I miss anything?

There is a difference between leaping and "Crow hopping/replanting". In my opinion, a pitcher loses speed by leaping (so I advise not leaping), gains an advantage by crow hopping/replanting.

Sep 28, 2021
USA softball rule 6A-3K:
(Women’s and JO Girls) Pushing off and dragging the pivot foot in contact with the ground or having both feet in the air is allowed.

USSSA rule changes 2022:
RULE 6 PITCHING, Sec 1.E.3, pages 34-35 Permits the pitcher to leap, and prescribes the legal requirements for leaping

Looks like leaping is illegal still in High School, and I would assume PGF (since PGF mostly follows High School rules).
I knew of the USA rule, but not the USSSA rule. The tournament we were at was a Perfect Game tournament and it was illegal.

ART 42. Leap Sec 1. A leap is an illegal pitch where the pitcher’s pivot foot fails to slide/drag on the ground and becomes airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate.

May 17, 2012
I would imagine you would be ok with doctored balls also with your way of thinking

Do doctored balls provide an advantage? Leaping does not provide a meaningful advantage.

We are all in agreement they should enforce the rule since it's a rule. What I can tell you from observing and playing against all types of pitchers is that it doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

Have a word with the umpire or tournament director if you want. Tip your cap to the pitcher. She beat you.

Jan 22, 2011
As a coach, my rule of thumb is to make 500pct sure my pitchers don't leap before I complain about the other pitcher. Same thing about "leaving early".

My DD was leaping in 12u. I got on her and had it about 80pct gone before she got called for it in a championship game. I wasn't coaching that summer. She got pulled for another pitcher, but my DD got the game winning hit for a walk-off mercy run win in that game.

After the game I thanked the umpire and the other team's coach for calling her on it, so she'd work on getting rid of it harder.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs