Illegal pitch calling this year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
Are the Umpires going to get crazy calling Illegal Pitches this year???

Middle School game the other day a Umpire warned the opposing pitcher about stepping outside the 24" area.
The area wasn't even lined.

I'm watching Fordham vs. Longwood and three Illegal pitched were called in the first inning. Which caused runners to advance and even score. Top of 2nd inning another illegal pitch. I'm familiar with pitching and I cant see anything crazy. Not airborne any thing.

I think, the rule part, about runners advancing on illegal pitch is excessive.

Jun 22, 2008
The 24" lines are only used in college ball, and even then they are gone in less than an inning. Just because the lines arent there doesnt mean the boundary does not exist. Same as the batters box lines, foul lines, pitchers circle etc. Just because they may get wiped away during the course of the game does not mean those boundary lines have ceased to exist. If in the umpires judgement the pitcher was stepping outside the 24" width of the pitching lane, it is an illegal pitch.

As for the penalty, it was most likely made severe so the penalty would be harsh enough to encourage the pitchers to be legal. The balk in baseball also advances runners.

Jun 22, 2008
The high school powers-that-be have been talking about chalking the lines since last year. It is coming soon.

They arent worth putting on the field. They are gone within an inning, many times not even 1/2 inning. As for calling the illegal pitches, they should be called every time they happen. From experience you can warn all you want and tell the coaches to work on it in practice, until they illegal pitch is called during a game, the pitcher nor their coach will ever work on fixing it.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm watching Fordham vs. Longwood and three Illegal pitched were called in the first inning. Which caused runners to advance and even score. Top of 2nd inning another illegal pitch. I'm familiar with pitching and I cant see anything crazy. Not airborne any thing.

You cant see the little hop step she takes? Saw it on first warm up pitch she threw, and they banged her for it every time she did it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of umpires let illegal pitches go all season long, then when you get to a world series or nationals, the umpires start calling them. It messes up the pitchers because they have been doing the same thing all season long. While I don't think the umpires should become illegal pitch fanatics, it will help the pitcher correct the problem if they start calling them early in the season.

Jul 28, 2008
As for the penalty, it was most likely made severe so the penalty would be harsh enough to encourage the pitchers to be legal. The balk in baseball also advances runners.

Yeah, but a balk is against the runner. An illegal pitch is not in softball. It's against the batter. In softball it's double jeopardy. A ball to the batter and an advance to the runner.

stv

May 12, 2010
It looks like she might do a slight replant. Very marginal call??
They show a slow motion @ 13:46
Different pitcher replay same team @ 1:50:00

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, but a balk is against the runner. An illegal pitch is not in softball. It's against the batter. In softball it's double jeopardy. A ball to the batter and an advance to the runner.

In softball the runners are restricted to leaving the base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Some types of illegal pitches do affect the timing of the release of the ball, and as such would be against the runner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1