If a glove is declared illegal ....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a 10 yo pitcher, using a 33" mitt. I sold her the glove, knowing that it is legal. (ASA rules, but rec league.) She is snagging everything hit to her and had an outstanding defensive game at SS, last week. So, the umpire started questioning her coach about the mitt. He said that it is too big. The coach asked for the rule and the umpire didn't say anything else.

This particular glove will hold on to any ball that you can get a handle on. It just closes and envelopes the ball. It is an old SSK mitt. I use it at every position in slow pitch.

My question is, if an umpire declares the glove illegal, would the coach be able to protest the game? I am going to give her a glove, just in case.

Jun 22, 2008
I believe you meant 13". Have coach carry a small tape measure with him and if ump questions glove again just drag out the tape measure.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is 33 inch 1st base mitt. The being a mitt part is what was questioned.

I see that I was saying both glove and mitt, in my original question. Sorry.

Jun 22, 2008
Where are you getting the 33" from? Maximum height of glove or mitt from first finger to base is 14". Gloves/Mitts are acceptable for use at any position in ASA, USSSA and TCS. Oh, and FED

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Where are you getting the 33" from?
Because that is how mitts are measured. Anyway, let me try again.

My student wears a mitt. The rec umpire is questioning if it is legal. I know that it is. (ASA rec rules.) If it is declared illegal while playing SS or pitching, can the coach then file an appeal? Also, she would only need to change gloves. Right?

Jun 22, 2008
Guess I never paid attention how they refer to them size wise commercially since the rule book only specifies the height of the glove, not circumference. And yes, the penalty of using an illegal glove would be the offensive coach has the choice of the result of the play, or returning the batter and any runners and the count returns to what it was prior to the last pitch. Fielder with the illegal glove simply has to change gloves.

First you would need to know if the league even allows protests. Sometimes they dont. Section 9 of the rule book says any missinterpretation of a playing rule may be protested as long as it is made before the next pitch. The umpire and score keeper need to be notified of the protest.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have a 10 yo pitcher, using a 33" mitt. I sold her the glove, knowing that it is legal. (ASA rules, but rec league.) She is snagging everything hit to her and had an outstanding defensive game at SS, last week. So, the umpire started questioning her coach about the mitt. He said that it is too big. The coach asked for the rule and the umpire didn't say anything else.

This particular glove will hold on to any ball that you can get a handle on. It just closes and envelopes the ball. It is an old SSK mitt. I use it at every position in slow pitch.

My question is, if an umpire declares the glove illegal, would the coach be able to protest the game? I am going to give her a glove, just in case.

We love our SSK... it has made it thru to kids so far.... Boy and girl...

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
It is 33 inch 1st base mitt. The being a mitt part is what was questioned.

I see that I was saying both glove and mitt, in my original question. Sorry.

It may be that the player is using a 1st base mitt in a defensive position other than 1st base or behind the plate. I thought that a 1st base mitt and catcher's mitt were only legal in play at 1st base and behind the plate and that use of those gloves in any other fielding position was illegal.

Jun 22, 2008
It may be that the player is using a 1st base mitt in a defensive position other than 1st base or behind the plate. I thought that a 1st base mitt and catcher's mitt were only legal in play at 1st base and behind the plate and that use of those gloves in any other fielding position was illegal.

Allready answered. In ASA, TCS, USSA, FED a mitt can be used at any position.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207