Ideas on what you do to....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I have also seen teams throw the ball to the first baseman. If the batter rounds first she tags her. Once the batter stops at 1B return the ball to the circle and then she is subject to the look back rule. 1B needs to be aware of the runner at 3B and be prepared to throw home if she goes.

Throwing to 1st never activates the lookback rule and the runner at 3rd can just stand there or even increase their lead. Instead of the ball being 45 or so feet away, now the ball is almost 90' away at 1st base. And, nothing stops the batter/runner from just taking off for 2nd the instant F3 throws the ball back to the pitcher, or, running straight through 1st base toward the outfield and then making a wide turn to 2nd. Get the ball to the pitcher, the second the batter/runner touches first base the runner at 3rd must either advance or return to 3rd. You still have plenty of time to make a throw to 2nd for the tag and if the runner at 3rd does try to advance you still have a play on them also.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
the second the batter/runner touches first base the runner at 3rd must either advance or return to 3rd.

So, the distinction is the "first touch" of 1B?;
and if the BB batter/runner overruns 1B, if the ball is in the circle, the 3B Runner must make a choice on advance or retreat at that time?
And may not maintain a "static lead" after and during the Batter/Runner's overrun of 1B?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes, when the batter-runner touches 1st base LBR becomes in effect.

Runner on 3rd needs to be moving, they can not just stand there.

(Before the batter-runner touches 1st the runner on 3rd can be doing anything they want.)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
If they try and continue on the walk and go to second before another pitch I would throw them out every time unless it's late and a really close game.

Fire the ball back to the pitcher first off and let her make the call.

On a steal the score, number of outs,etc make a big diff. Also the speed of the runners,etc. If it's a slow runner and I'm up by 5 I'll just throw her out on the steal.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am with you mostly.

P does have some time but if I want the out at 2nd, if she throws to 3rd the runner better be out or in a run down. If she throws to 3rd and the runner scores or is safe at 3rd she is in trouble.

No sprinkles for her. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13