I want to join travel ball at 13

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2021
Hi I’m a 13 year old girl and All my life I have loved baseball and my family is all about it. So when I was like 7/8 I joined a team but could only play for 2 years. This is because my parents schedule never fit with it. Ever since then I always play with my cousins all the time and I was thinking about going back in but for travel ball softball and I am good at the game but am afraid I’m too old to barely start up again. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
Good for you! You can totally do it. You will need to find the right team which may be easy or difficult depending on where you live. You will have some catching up to do with girls that have been playing travel for years. Ideally you can find a coach or knowledgeable volunteer to help you 1:1 to get your fundamentals down. Also watch lots of games if you can and think about strategy. Most importantly out work the others. If you plan to play this summer you will want to find a team quickly. If not, use the summer to get ready for fall.

Not too late at all.

Taz

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As we say on here all of the time, there's a TB team out there for everyone; the trick is finding it. Look, for what I call a developmental team. A good, knowledgeable coach that can encourage and develop player skills will be key. Also, look for a team playing in a lot of tournaments. You are way behind in game situational awareness and knowledge. As Taz said, watching a bunch of games, trying tp figure out the whys and whens (game situations) of what happens will also help with this. I would suggest a quality hitting instructor as well. Find someone with a proven track record of sending their hitters off to play in college. Although this isn't a foolproof way of finding a knowledgeable hitting coach that teaches correct swing mechanics, oftentimes, it's a very good indicator. Last but not least, expect to work your tail off to catch up to the level of play of the others. Hitting 750 balls a week off of the tee into a hitting net and practicing their swing is the average for players on my team as an example. You need to outwork players like that. What it comes down to is this. Will it be hard to do? Absolutely. Can you do it? Without a doubt in my mind. If you decide to go on this journey, the most important advice you'll need to remember is this...The only thing you have full control over during this journey is your effort.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Go for it kiddo. Enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• Attitude.jpg
    Attitude.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 7
Oct 4, 2018
There's a team for you for sure. Start learning which one it is. Ask around, use the internet, etc.

You can increase your ability very quickly through practice and proper form. I've watched girls who could barely throw a ball be the team leader 2 years later.

Michael Jordan didn't make his high school basketball team the first time he tried out. Look where that got him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86