I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Each game the productivity of a pitcher can vary. What they threw in the last game may not be as sharp and controlled as the current game or vice versa.

What have found over the years is the gap is when the person from The Dugout is calling pitches has no idea what's actually flying through the zone nor what The umpire Strikes zone is.

Simply communicating with the pitcher and catcher can close that Gap greatly.
Utilize pitcher / catcher feedback and or let the catcher call the game with the pitcher being able to have feedback.

Along with the awareness that
What was being called in the first inning. May need to change throughout the game.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
This may be the worst post of all time. Virtually every parent that catches lessons for their daughter uses something to set on. LEsoftballdad is the only one that doesn’t.
Hmmm thinkin'
The man in blue was just giving people
'a kick in the bucket' 🥳
Mods: Please change the thread title to "I need a BUCKET pitcher . . . " 😋
................................⬆️

May 29, 2015
Or geniuses who saved $20,000 and thousands of hours. Plus, some dads or moms actually like to spend time with their daughters.
This may be the worst post of all time. Virtually every parent that catches lessons for their daughter uses something to set on. LEsoftballdad is the only one that doesn’t.

I did it for several years while spending time with my daughter. No way I would EVER sit on a bucket. As @LEsoftballdad said, it provides an inaccurate target. It not only adds immobility to the target, but immobility to you. It is far tougher to properly move and properly "defend" yourself on a camping toilet. It is dangerous to you. It surprises me that facilities and their insurance companies allow it.

Granted, I am biased . . . and sometimes grumpy.
038df98a663c3349777c8c5f6fc10026.png

Not sure how you are saving $20,000 by plopping your butt on a bucket, but OK. If you can't catch properly, I understand, I'm not bashing anybody for that. Reach out to the catchers on your daughter's team . . . they can ALWAYS use the extra (free) practice and it helps to build the pitcher-catcher rapport.

Meanwhile, I appreciate the time you are spending with your daughter, but you are shortchanging her and your investment in the pitching lessons without proper catching.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
What have found over the years is the gap is when the person from The Dugout is calling pitches has no idea what's actually flying through the zone nor what The umpire Strikes zone is.

Let your SS call pitches one game. We have done that....she got to set the defense and call the pitch.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I did it for several years while spending time with my daughter. No way I would EVER sit on a bucket. As @LEsoftballdad said, it provides an inaccurate target. It not only adds immobility to the target, but immobility to you. It is far tougher to properly move and properly "defend" yourself on a camping toilet. It is dangerous to you. It surprises me that facilities and their insurance companies allow it.

Granted, I am biased . . . and sometimes grumpy.
038df98a663c3349777c8c5f6fc10026.png

Not sure how you are saving $20,000 by plopping your butt on a bucket, but OK. If you can't catch properly, I understand, I'm not bashing anybody for that. Reach out to the catchers on your daughter's team . . . they can ALWAYS use the extra (free) practice and it helps to build the pitcher-catcher rapport.

Meanwhile, I appreciate the time you are spending with your daughter, but you are shortchanging her and your investment in the pitching lessons without proper catching.
I am a far better catcher in a crouch wearing gear than I am on a bucket. The amount of money I spent on gear is far less than what it would cost to hire a catcher every time. Also, I catch her home sessions, too.

I understand some people's knees and bodies won't allow them to crouch, but if they do, your daughter will thank you.

Mar 29, 2023
I agree that buckets make crazy high targets. During home practice, I use a folding 9" stool from Amazon that cost like $9 (which is relevant because its cheap to replace when the ball destroys it:D); it puts me pretty close to a crouch position. I crouch anywhere else.

Jan 1, 2023
I don’t sit on a bucket either. I don’t wear gear, though. I just use a fielders mask and soccer shin guards and pray.

Jun 29, 2023
I don't know, aren't most catchers starting with their glove in the dirt and trying to frame pitches these days? I can't imagine my target is any worse than that.

Feb 25, 2020
I have never, nor will I ever, sit on a bucket for any reason. People who sit on buckets have their players hit tires. And start throwing warm ups from 3 feet from each other flicking their wrists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00